Discuss Advice - Tiling on concrete with no dpm in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

william underhill

Hi, just after some advice about my kitchen floor which I'm currently looking at renovating.

I did have quarry tiles down on the floor and I have now taken these up and there is a concrete slab underneath but there's no dpm under the concrete due to the age of the property.

Just want to check that I'm going the right way about things with my current plan...

Liquid DPM onto the concrete slab, then lay insulation above this and then lay electric mat underfloor heating on top of this. Then lay a self leveller on top of this before tiling over that.

Anyone aware of any issues that I'll have by doing this or any other advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Sounds like a good specification to me. The potential issue that came to mind is, if, the concrete floor is absorbing moisture from Sub-soil for instance, ( also check for the presence of mineral ground salts to the slab), you may as a result of the proposed work.be transferring moisture/more moisture to the wall structure. As it's an old property, might be worth checking if you have an adequate damp proof course in the walls and its position in relation to the abutting concrete slab. Just a thought.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, just after some advice about my kitchen floor which I'm currently looking at renovating.

I did have quarry tiles down on the floor and I have now taken these up and there is a concrete slab underneath but there's no dpm under the concrete due to the age of the property.

Just want to check that I'm going the right way about things with my current plan...

Liquid DPM onto the concrete slab, then lay insulation above this and then lay electric mat underfloor heating on top of this. Then lay a self leveller on top of this before tiling over that.

Anyone aware of any issues that I'll have by doing this or any other advice would be welcome. Thanks.

you need to think about where the damp is going to go. Particularly if your house has had an injection DPM in the walls. Liquid DPM's for floors are not designed to stop rising damp. they are for suppression of residual moisture. Rather than a liquid DPM you might be better using something that will continue to allow moisture out of the concrete e.g. Ditra or similar. then you need to think about the walls as I said. If you stop the floor from breathing you run the risk of the base of the walls becoming very damp and if they are DPM's integrally as well you are asking for trouble. Other than that it sounds fine... :)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Doh...should have read the whole thread ... just repeated what Bond said... still best to be told twice than not at all I guess...

Reply to Advice - Tiling on concrete with no dpm in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks