Discuss Advice needed, novice tiler... in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I've bought what I thought were floor tiles for my bathroom. They are 600 x 300 x 8.5mm ceramic tiles. Turns out i bought wall tiles...
Question is can I use these on my bathroom floor. It's a small bathroom, I'm going to need 16 to 18 tiles at most, I'll be putting backerboards down as I'm tiling onto floor boards. There's no shower, just the standard bath, sink and toilet and the tiles are a matt finish.
So, can I still use them on the floor?

I can't find a PEI number on the box. 🤔

Reaction score
Shouldn’t really put ceramic on floors as they are weaker than porcelain I advise to purchase porcelain for the floor

C

Ceramike

Tile description is something of a minefield.
Ceramic or porcelain are both a ceramic tile, produced from different compositions of clay types and various added mineral ingredients, in order to produce a particular desired result, depending on the manner and location in which the tile is intended for use.
What are generally referred to as porcelain tiles are basically non porous and are more suited to wet or damp environments. They are generally harder and may indeed be more suitable on floors but can equally be applied to walls.
The more porous ceramic tiles a made withe the intention that a tile adhesive will grab and hold a tile more effectively as the moisture from the adhesive is drawn into the porous body of the tile.
There are certain decorative effects that may only be achievable on particular types of ceramic / pottery and this will also have a bearing on the way a tile is produced.

Reply to Advice needed, novice tiler... in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks