Search the forum,

Discuss Advice needed - Leaking shower and tiles falling off. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bagman

Hello, this is my first post!

We have an ensuite bathroom. Last week water began leaking down into the room bellow. Closer inspection of the shower revealed that the grout had cracked in several places. A shower head test seemed to confirm this as the problem rather than the silicone around the tray.

I decided the best course of action was to re-grout the whole shower, however, I appear to have opened a can of worms! While removing the old grout, three of the tiles (some of the ones with cracked grout) became very loose and they came off the wall. This has revealed the substrate to be plywood.

The question I have is this:

Should I replace/reattach the tiles that fell off to the plywood and re-grout as planned? Or should I consider having the whole shower retiled with the plywood replaced by hardibacker board.

The tiles are 600 x 300 x 10 (I think they are ceramic.

I have attached some pictures.

Thanks, any advice will be much appreciated!

RB

W

White Room

Hello, this is my first post!

We have an ensuite bathroom. Last week water began leaking down into the room bellow. Closer inspection of the shower revealed that the grout had cracked in several places. A shower head test seemed to confirm this as the problem rather than the silicone around the tray.

I decided the best course of action was to re-grout the whole shower, however, I appear to have opened a can of worms! While removing the old grout, three of the tiles (some of the ones with cracked grout) became very loose and they came off the wall. This has revealed the substrate to be plywood.

The question I have is this:

Should I replace/reattach the tiles that fell off to the plywood and re-grout as planned? Or should I consider having the whole shower retiled with the plywood replaced by hardibacker board.

The tiles are 600 x 300 x 10 (I think they are ceramic.

I have attached some pictures.

Thanks, any advice will be much appreciated!

RB

That would be the route I would go down....

B

Bagman

Thanks Whitebeam and Stef for the advice. I think I will go ahead and get the thing done properly as advised.

Reply to Advice needed - Leaking shower and tiles falling off. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen