Search the forum,

Discuss About to try Wedi Board... a few questions in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rckdev

Hi guys,

I'm about to use Wedi board for the first time (on a job where i'm not subbing that is). Its a small bathroom, 600 x 300 Polished porcelain floor and walls, 1200 raised shower enclosure only wet area. Walls are solid dense concrete block and were until the past few days totally all over the place.

First question, I've used a mixture of dot dab green pb and hardwall plaster and beads to plumb and straighten all walls and window reveals (apart from one problematic one). My intention is to screw 6mm Wedi boards to all surfaces to be tiled (to get the appropriate weight bearing), However, my question is, with ceramic tiling I normally cover all the undercoat plaster with thistle multi finish and coat with mapei tile primer g. Since I'm screwing the Wedi board to the wall, will I have to finish plaster the surfaces, then apply primer and then wedi board or could I simply screw the boards onto the hardwall, with/without primer??

Second question,

I've never done any porcelain on a floor, does Wedi board have any de-coupling properties or in an ideal world should I be going to the expense of some ditra or similar as well?

Third Question,

The only other previous time I've used porcelain wall tiles it was about 4 years ago on my mums bathroom, it was the 600 x 600 efforts from bnu know, due to a bereavment, I'm ashamed to say I rushed/semi bodged the tiling, It looks great IMO (still) but to save time and money, I put the finish plaster on with a notched trowel, primed and stuck the tiles straight on with a full bed and buttering (hoping the greater surface area and mechanical fix would be enough to support them) one of the window reveals on this current bathroom is severely lacking on clearance for tile width if i add the 6mm wedi... If I were to revisit my bodge method for this reveal and tile it first with the sill and upper reveals butted to it and the leading edge siliconed to the metal L edge trim, do you think I might get away with it (any other suggestions welcome)

Fourth question,

Topps say that their £xpensive porcelain sealer only need be applied once before grouting... surely this can't be right??

Thanks in advance

Ross

Reply to About to try Wedi Board... a few questions in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen