Discuss A Bathroom Floor - The Toilet Issue in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Element

TF
Reaction score
Have been asked to lay electric UFH in a bathroom with 12mm travertine on top. The question is the toilet - in the past I have always wired around the toilet bowl & allowed one tile to sit beneath it unheated however am I simply better to have the bowl down on the insulation boards & not only wire around it - but tile around it - after all travertine is very easily shaped to the bowl curve. Doing this would allow the whole tiled area to expand and contract without issue? Thanks for your thoughts :)

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I never fit element order a pan, but can't see the logic in cutting around the pan! Tile under and fit on top. If it's ever damaged, at least it's not a floor rip up.

A

Ash-wolves

I wouldn't put any elements under it, just for the risk of catching the wire, when fixing the toilet down & I woulndt cut around it either

Element

TF
Reaction score
I've never fitted elements under the pan; that would be prone to future problems. So you both tile under but as I have done in the past - wire the mat around the pan - under adjacent tiles.. Ok - stick to what you know works I guess :)

Ste-G

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Have been asked to lay electric UFH in a bathroom with 12mm travertine on top. The question is the toilet - in the past I have always wired around the toilet bowl & allowed one tile to sit beneath it unheated however am I simply better to have the bowl down on the insulation boards & not only wire around it - but tile around it - after all travertine is very easily shaped to the bowl curve. Doing this would allow the whole tiled area to expand and contract without issue? Thanks for your thoughts :)
If I'm understanding you right, it sounds like you're worried about a cold spot under the pedestal not expanding with the rest of the floor. If this is the case, don't be. Plenty of floors get fully tiled with kitchen's and vanity units fitted on top and you wouldn't put ufh where cupboards were being fitted.

P

p4ulo

No way!
Work out where the toilet is and wire around it, then tile before it goes in....

Reply to A Bathroom Floor - The Toilet Issue in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks