Search the forum,

Discuss Cement tiles on walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

H

hipposgobeserk

Hi everyone
I have purchased just over 2 square metres of 18mm thick encaustic cement tiles to use as a kitchen splashback in several different areas.

As far as I can see I am yet to find a tile edger that is thick enough to hide the edge (which is rough) of the tiles +adhesive. Photos I've seen online etc conveniently tile up to the bottom cabinets etc bypassing the need, but ours will have quite a lot of raw edges.

Anyone have any advice on what to use? Also as a complete Newby, would it be less hassle to hire a professional tiler and if so how long roughly for? We're on a budget but already looking at £60+ to hire a diamond blade cutting machine.

Thanks in advance

B

Bill

Thanks in advance
Sand the edges down with 80 grit then something smoother and you will be OK - just embrace the encaustic look - many 'designers' don't give a hoot about the finish as they want to see the whole 'picture' and this includes what the encaustics are........ rough & ready but a fantastic contrast to plain walls/units.

H

hipposgobeserk

Thanks, like you say it seems a little odd to finish off a beautiful hand made piece with a wide piece of pvc lol.

F

Flintstone

Don't use any trims it will not look right, the tiles aren't designed for a splash back they are really to go on a floor. Think hard about putting them behind the cooker, they might not stay looking fresh for that long!

H

hipposgobeserk

We've been advised to seal with lithofin impregnator. Anyone know if this is decent enough stuff?

T

Time's Ran Out

Yes Lithofin is good.
Follow the instructions on the 'tin' and don't leave any build up on the surface. Make sure the surface is clean , but don't use a wet sponge as this will alter the absorbsion of the sealer and it will dry uneven. Clean but bone dry - seal.

Reply to Cement tiles on walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen