Search the forum,

Discuss 22mm gap to fill. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I started some repair work on New Years Eve. Water had been getting behind some tiles and the tiles were coming away from the wall. I removed 3 tiles 600x300. The fourth tile could not be removed because it would have definitely broken in half. The tiles are about 5 years old and the customer has no spares. The layer of plaster behind the tiles was absolutely soaked and came away quite easily. The second layer of plaster had blown and came away too. I am now down to the brick wall. The gap between the brick and the back of the tile is 22mm. Could I just use rapidset to build up/pack out the gap. The previous tiler did not silicone the internal corner, the grout cracked and the spray from the shower poured into crack between the tiles. I had hoped for 2 visits to mend this problem. It now looks like I’ll be making 3 trips! Cheers Sean

Attachments

• 31122009062.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 40

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I would remove all the plaster and fit a piece of 10mm marmox/wedi board to the wall, silicone all around it to seal from water and then fit the new tiles, this will be a much better surface for the tile than packing it out with adhesive, reseal the bath and internal corners with new silicone.

:thumbsup:
Well thought out Diamondtiling. Quicker drying time too. Thanks. Sean

C

Colour Republic

You may have problems later with the old plaster breaking down because of water ingress which may have traveled further back that it looks

Yeah that's what I was about to say.

If the plaster came away so easily then I would hazard a guess some more is blown. Does any of it sound hollow? They look like fair sized tiles so wouldn't want them coming down on you whilst relaxing in the bath. I know you won't want to take more down and I could understand the customer not wanting to redo the whole job with another tile but is it safe?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Yeah that's what I was about to say.

If the plaster came away so easily then I would hazard a guess some more is blown. Does any of it sound hollow? They look like fair sized tiles so wouldn't want them coming down on you whilst relaxing in the bath. I know you won't want to take more down and I could understand the customer not wanting to redo the whole job with another tile but is it safe?

I’ve scraped away all the loose bits and the hollow bits. All that is left is rock solid. However, these tiles are big 600x300. The tile to the right of the picture does sound hollow, but I can’t move it because it is hollow on the left and solid on the right. I got my trowel behind it but I’m pretty sure it would snap in two if I applied any more pressure. I have to leave it there because there are no spares. I plan to drop some addy behind it to make it a bit more secure.

Reply to 22mm gap to fill. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.