Discuss 1st timer on uneven concrete floor in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Flintstone

That trowel will eat adhesive I think. I don't think any regular s1 rated adhesive should be that thick! Ratio sounds right tho.

J

Jock McG

Sadly have to use that much to get level with the sole plate - as we get nearer house wall it will go down to 6mm notch - just a bugger to try and mix - will not even try using the drill to do it! Have been doing first couple mixes at 4kgs only till we get a good level then can crack on bit faster - but even mixing 4kgs/1 water is tough!

J

Jock McG

Not gone away folks - just very busy.
Tile size is 298/499/9mm - approx 190 of them
Lets give you a few stats and a laugh - sadly I'm not!:
To get to height required to reach sill plate each and every tiles nes to be bedded in and leveled - just like slabs. So whats to problem??? Welllll......each bag of 20kg (fast set) adhesive (tiles backbuttered) is working out to.... 9.3 tiles/bag (2.15kgs/tile) - YES 9.3 per BAG! Wasteage is around 2.3kgs/bag. Max I'm trying to lay at a time is approx six to allow to set - so progress is frustrating to say the least. The cost is - mind blowing considering tiles were £1.00 each - adhesive is costing more. Used 4 different types so far: Topps white but was cream (slow set £15/bag Trade but at 4 days drying!) Topps fast set white but again was cream @ £18/20kg, Unibond grey (Screwfix £11 - but they only had 3) ,Just managed to find Tradepoint fast grey at £24/60kgs but they only do in grey - why is it so bloody expensive and difficult to find white? So far the cost of adhesive is about £1.79/tile.....now going down to £0.86. However when setting the edge cuts and mosaics will have to go back to white and prob have to buy on line as no local suppliers do and decent prices on white.
Now the last fact: time to set a tile. Well from setting up/mixing/prep/laying/cleaning it's working out around 22 mins a tile and after a pityfull 81 set so far (albeit they look almost perfect) thats a wage shattering 30hours! Don't see how it can be done any faster and keep the stardard this high. God help me when it gets to the custs/mosaic......
So thats some scarey facts to gas about with your fellow tradesmen folks.

J

Jock McG

Nope - just a sad Engineer who's pockets have been financially raped....

5.JPG 1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
W

WetSaw

Why didn't you get a few more bags of SLC and get the floor somewhere near level? It would have saved you a fortune in adhesive and a lot of time! 60010-8a9f9ede4481b22ecdf5766121ee3607.jpg

S

Stef

Your going to be way over the maximum thickness for your addy.
Start pouring slc to get that closer to level.

Reply to 1st timer on uneven concrete floor in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks