Currently reading:
your thoughts

Search the forum,

Discuss your thoughts in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
well been thinking i should put this to the tta .indepent tile fixers should carry a tta id card with photo .witch they can use at any tta outlet to get max discount without an account .this way when your working out side your normal area and need to pick up a few bags of adhesive ect .this should save you time and money

Good luck if you can make it fly but it sounds a bit of a difficult one... How can the TTA dictate independent outlet profit and discounts. If they are members of the TTA they join to boost business and margins not to knock them down...

P

Protilers

Good luck if you can make it fly but it sounds a bit of a difficult one... How can the TTA dictate independent outlet profit and discounts. If they are members of the TTA they join to boost business and margins not to knock them down...

IMO...it should me more of a moral duty between members........afterall.......there are not that many TTA fixers in the UK!...so I doubt it will upset margins.....but it will give the scheme the credibilty it deserves and will also make people want to join...........myself included!..........

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
IMO...it should me more of a moral duty between members........afterall.......there are not that many TTA fixers in the UK!...so I doubt it will upset margins.....but it will give the scheme the credibilty it deserves and will also make people want to join...........myself included!..........

Fair point well made....

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

well the thinking behind this is you would look for your nearest tta out let .this is business you might not have got and you get to meet a new tiler who would use you again when down your way plus tell others

P

Protilers

Fair point well made....

thank you Alan.........but TBH......we all have a few ideas popping about......and they all have merit IMO.....Ray, Gary and I (I am NOT a member YET!).......But ,Personally I want the TTA to strive.......
and be profitable........and the ID card system will make (a small) profit and encourage people to join.......just my opinion......

P

Protilers

Personally, I want to be part of the "solution"........and not part of the "problem".......at the end of the day, people who are spending time on this site are obsessed by tiling and I am sure all will do a great job!.......
(the real tilers that is!)
but there ARE people who come onto this and other forums............they read this stuff, and go forth and they also MULTIPLY......think about it........
the only real protection we have is a registered body...........and at this moment in time.....IMO.......the TTA is all we have.......might not be great for the fixer (at the mo') BUT.........
IT COULD BE.........

all the best and nite nite

Lee

P

Protilers

I like the idea
Personally I think it has legs!.....and everybody wins......the TTA, the independent fixer, and the tiling contractor......not to mention that the TTA registered business that sell addy etc......
will meet a new (potentially) profitable customer!!!!!......at the sacrifice of a discount they will give thier regular guys anyhow?.......think about it!

all the best

Lee

gamma38

TF
Bedford
I can see both sides of this debate, a registered body could be a good thing, but a lot of the time they don't always achieve what people think imo. What would be the criteria for getting a card? How much to join? Also there are a lot of guys on here without a formal qualification for tiling but it doesn't make them bad tilers, would they be allowed a card?

R

I can see both sides of this debate, a registered body could be a good thing, but a lot of the time they don't always achieve what people think imo. What would be the criteria for getting a card? How much to join? Also there are a lot of guys on here without a formal qualification for tiling but it doesn't make them bad tilers, would they be allowed a card?
well i havent got a Qualification to my name but i am a member and some how ended up on the gpc by letting my views out there. when looking for tilers they look for jobs done recomendations from the out letts that they use then check them out its not all about what you have on paper but what you can do and who trust you to do it well

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I think its a good starting block to eliminate a few of the cowboys also. I don't know how you would vet people, but some form of recognised body labelled on an id card would show the customer that you are the real deal. And to be fair, those that have no qualifications can complete the EWPA after 5 years to gain an NVQ level 2 anyway. So a card woukd not only mean qualified but also well established and experienced.

Bit like the gas safe register I guess?

gamma38

TF
Bedford
Fair points but it's easy to get off course a bit I reckon, id cards won't stop cowboys I don't think, the only thing to have a big impact on cowboys would be the general public, as a percentage how many or anyones customers check any references, public liability etc it's crazy but people just don't do it. I am all for something just not sure what, which doesn't make much sense I know. While I was in NZ they have area inspectors which looked at every job I did, so cowboys don't even get a look in, they come in at various stages to sign off work. That worked really well.

P

Protilers

it would be the exact same criteria that is already in place and the same price ....and those held under the wing of a main contractor will need to renew....and if the main contractor has not renewed......nor can the employeee...............hope that make sense.........Lee

P

Protilers

here is what I said on another forum...........I think it is apt for the situ:

"Current membership = card.........if you are a tiling contractor, subsequent cards are charged at cost..........everyone on the team has a card...under the main tiling contractors name......IE

(DAVE BLESS...(Protilers).......jan 2012 - jan 2013)..... and then Dave need to renew his card after checks from the TTA (in feb 2013) that he still works for the main contractor (Protilers) (whom is still a member!)......

if Protilers is no longer a (Paid) member......Dave Bless has no way of renewing unless he becomes a full fledged member of the TTA on his own!.......

just throwing it out there!"

all the best

Lee

R

Fair points but it's easy to get off course a bit I reckon, id cards won't stop cowboys I don't think, the only thing to have a big impact on cowboys would be the general public, as a percentage how many or anyones customers check any references, public liability etc it's crazy but people just don't do it. I am all for something just not sure what, which doesn't make much sense I know. While I was in NZ they have area inspectors which looked at every job I did, so cowboys don't even get a look in, they come in at various stages to sign off work. That worked really well.
we used to call them clarks of works they used to check everbodys work so when you got there it was right .today to many diyers in the market playing at being tilers .we need to start to put this write some ware the longest jounrey starts with the first foot step

W

White Room

we used to call them clarks of works they used to check everbodys work so when you got there it was right .today to many diyers in the market playing at being tilers .we need to start to put this write some ware the longest jounrey starts with the first foot step

I remember the clerk of works back in the 70's and we still got diyers (chancers) very active then, so it's not a new thing.

R

Surley the TTA should be putting their own name out there so customers know what tilers are talking about, wether they give two hoots about it is another thing...price tends to be the bottom dollar nowadays.
some body needs to make the public aware you are right .but not all go for the bottom price ask anybody thats paid there builder took three times as long to dilver a third class job and cost twice what we would charge and still got it wrong

R

no need to worry about DIYers and chancers ! and why do we all need to be in the TTA ? i'am a privateer / gun for hire LOL
and how many jobs in your field have you seen go wrong and had to put right how many jobs have you nown to being done by jokers but unable to stop we need somethink to stop this happening and make sure the right people are doing the right jobs any suggestions by you would be welcome

R

You make a fair point there Ray, but it's the general public who need educating.....
well i thought there should be leaflets in all tta shops one exspaining why you should use a tta tiler and one exspaining why you should become a tta tiler theres a lott of work to do but have to start somwhere .if we dont want our trade to be veided in diy terms because thats the way its going .just look at the bq advert you can do that even with a skirt on and your finnger nails groomed not a hair out of place.does that sound like me or you

Reply to your thoughts in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement