Search the forum,

Discuss Worried about weight in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

alib103

Got a job with 300x300 travertine mosaics ( individual tiles are about 30mm ish each) . When i went round to quote last week i explained to customer that i was worried about the weight of tiles and the substrate.
The walls are plasterboard, skimmed and painted. I measured the tile sample they had and according to my measure they were 8mm thick, its only a small kitchen splashback, split into 0.8 sqm sections. I know i'll have to do something about the paint but do you think the walls will hold? I know 20kg per sqm is recommended max, 32kg on bare plasterboard. I'm off to CTD tomorrow to check if the total weights are on the tile box but just wanted some advice from you guys.
Bit concerned about ringing customer and saying she'll have to choose new tiles.....better than wall collapsing though! :thumbsdown:

G

grumpygrouter

You would probably get away with it, I feel. as they are mosaic on a sheet, there is a lot of "air" in the 300x300 sheet so your weight will be less. As it is a splashback, the likely hood of them falling off and hurting someone is small.

By all means check the weights given on the box or if not, just weigh a sheet and multiply it by 11, this will give you an indication.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

inspiredandy

Hi there,

I have recently had the same experience and this is what I found out at the time.

A 300 x 300 x 10mm sheet weighs approx 23.2kg and then there is the weight of the adhesive on top. I would be reluctant to fix those tiles without some prep done first. If you back up your comment with hard evidence your customer should see sense.

Good luck

Reply to Worried about weight in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen