Search the forum,

Discuss working for builders.. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
had a builder on the phone, wants a quote for a biggish job, ive never worked for him before and after getting stung a few times last year i'm a bit more cautious about who I work for, what do you do if quoting for work from builders you don't know to prevent yourself from getting ripped off..

T

Time's Ran Out

Get stage payments and explain why! If he wants you to do it you'll soon know and if you start only do to stage 1 - payment, then stage 2 - payment etc. if there is no agreement in writing then its not worth taken it on.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What can u do Andy, you either trust them or not, you can usually tell the tosspots though !
I've had one or two rip me and one of them was a life long mate, not any more :)?

T

The D

I have a tool for extracting any money withheld

images.jpeg :smilewinkgrin:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
any advice that doesn't involve me going to prison for 20 years...:lol:.....although I have felt like doing that to some of the pricks I've met...

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What can u do Andy, you either trust them or not, you can usually tell the tosspots though !
I've had one or two rip me and one of them was a life long mate, not any more :)?

iv'e had it before, they all promise you the earth right up to when you finish the job, then they do a disappearing act........I know you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush....but things have defo got worse these last couple of years..

O

On one

I have a tool for extracting any money withheld

View attachment 53527 :smilewinkgrin:
Just reminds me of a story I was told many years ago of an Chinese restaurant that would pay up for building works carried out. Bloke walks into the said restaurant with a bucket of water with a smidgen of petrol sitting on the top,but just enough to make it look like a full bucket full of petrol and he kept flicking away on a cigarette lighter...... it wasn't long before the funds were forthcoming!

C

cr0ft

If it's for someone I'm not sure about then I draw up a contract based on my standard template. Details payment amounts and dates plus the exact work I'm due to complete. We both sign and keep a copy each before work starts. Never had a problem getting money from someone who has signed a written contract.

Reply to working for builders.. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen