Discuss Window overhangs bath. in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
2011-08-17_13-41-50_508.jpg
I had this problem a few months ago when I tiled my Inlaws bathroom. The solution was to turn the bath around.

The problem is that the bathroom window overhangs the bath. The customer wishes to install a glass shower screen. The customer has suggested that the side of the window is padded out with wood, then clad with ‘No More Ply’ or ‘Backerboard’. It would mean that there would have to be a grout line running down where the backerboard meets the plaster wall.

Then I had an idea, what if I tanked the wall with a Homelux mat. Would this act as a decoupler? And could I then have the grout line where I wanted it?

The reason for the wood is for future occupants of the house to have the option of removing the wood and reinstating the full width of the window.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It's one of those curvy baths, with a curvy shower screen!

Any other suggestions? We are only talking about extending the wall by about 40mm. The 40mm has to be strong enough to part hold a shower screen. Would I be better off maybe using PCI pecilastic membrane to cover the join between the backerboard & plaster?

T

tfs

Not an ideal situation. I guess it boilds down to whether or not the customer can live with the building out.

I wouldnt do it if this was in my home it will just look wrong, especialy with the hinged end of the window being concealed like that.

You could perhaps cut into the plastered wall and push the bath in a little.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
tfs, the position of the bath is another story! The bath is now set in stone (so to speak). The way the bath is means I am unable to get a tile behind the taps! I have to cut a notch out of the bottom of the tile. The bath can't be moved. The customer can live with part of the window being hidden behind tile. I really don't want to have to tile a slither down the join between the hardie & plaster.

Reply to Window overhangs bath. in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay