Search the forum,

Discuss wickes johnson tile romano and ceramic white in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stocky339

afternoon everyone
i am having major problems with the Romano tile bought 27m2 delivered by wickes ,halfway through project
ie walls done and laying floor
we noticed a severe colour difference walls were a pink shade in general the floor was
suddenly biege and pink,we then looked at the walls more carefully and found biege tiles as well

Bearing in mind these were delivered same batch number and code

I tried to get over the problem by taking up the floor tiles ,buying a new batch to just do the floor and acept the varition from wall to floor

laid the floor again third of the way through colours change again,but majority beige ahhhhhhhhhhh

I went to Wickes and bought further tiles to check

3 packs same code same batch numbers,opened them up and found 1 pack was beige 2 packs were pink
anyone got any thoughts on how i sould approach wickes about this ,its cost time and money and its doing my head in

I should have known better already had problems with there plain white tiles ,every top tile in the pack had a pink patch
The colour had been bleach out of the tiles where they had been left out in the sun in the packaging ,nice pick patches
remedial work cost and moreover time lost on project

stocky339

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd definitely contact Wickes who should be able to at least source you all the same coloured tiles. Then perhaps as you say, go with one batch/colour on the walls and the other on the floor.

There's a bit of a standard rule though when it comes to fixing tiles, you should always check the tiles (not just the batches) and also work from several boxes at any one time, and not just a box at a time, which helps to overcome any slight size changes and colour changes.

They should be able to source you the same coloured tiles though and then perhaps refund you all the ones you're not using perhaps.

Have you approached them when you were buying more tiles to see what their view is on it?

S

stocky339

thanks dan
I was working with about five packs at any one time, thats why i really did not notice the colour difference
It only came to light when i turned the bathroom lights off which are leds and i showed up in naural light
no pun intended
regards

T

Time's Ran Out

Once they are fixed I doubt if you have any comeback, as it clearly states on the packaging that colour variation is an inherent feature of ceramic tiles.
Although I wouldn't have thought they were particularly cheap, as they just play with and stock a few tiles, they will be buying in bulk and cheaply and unfortunately Mr DIY is none the wiser as to their quality control.

S

stocky339

Well the manager from wickes came today,and he could believe the differance in colour
In fact he said they look like different tiles
There is a lesson here do not lay tiles under led spotlights

In normal daylight can see the difference not only in colour
but pattern
Hopefully wickes will sort it out
whilst you say wickes quality control is insufficient
You would ask why johnsons are sending out tiles same batch number same serial number and they are completley different
lets hope wickes head office picks them up on it

Reply to wickes johnson tile romano and ceramic white in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen