Search the forum,

Discuss Which Primer & Adhesive - NMP, UFH & Travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mrcandu

Hi there,
I am about to undertake my first DIY tiling job on my kitchen :dizzy2: and i'm looking for some advice on which primer and tile adhesive to use.

I will be laying 600x400x12mm Travertine floor tiles in a 12sqm room.
I have already layed 6mm NMP over the existing wooden floor boards and I will then be running UFH cable that will take up an area of 6sqm around the center of the room.

The folk I bought the tiles from recommended the Dunlop Large Format and Natural Stone tile adhesive in white with a Dunlop primer. I can't source this locally and would rather walk into Topps Tiles or Wickes and buy something there rather than pay a hefty delivery charge on the Dunlop.

Do I need a fast drying adhesive? It would be handy if I didn't have to wait a week before I can walk on the floor.

At the end of the day I wanna get the best products for the job, so any recommendations and general tiling advice would be greatly received.

Thanks in advance,
Mat.

G

Gazzer

Unless you have a trade account at Topps you will pay a very heavy price.
Wickes is an adhesive i would avoid too.
My 1st choice would be Mapei all the way.
What area are you from?., maybe someone local could point you to a good dealer.

M

mrcandu

Thanks for the info Sir Ramic
I see from previous posts Keraflex Maxi S1 is highly recommened for large format travertine, it's just wether I can get it locally?, i'm in Hampton South London.
Cheers.

G

Gazzer

Yes i agree, i have had a word about adding POI for sat navs.
But yes very basic IMO

G

grumpygrouter

Hi there,
I am about to undertake my first DIY tiling job on my kitchen :dizzy2: and i'm looking for some advice on which primer and tile adhesive to use.

I will be laying 600x400x12mm Travertine floor tiles in a 12sqm room.
I have already layed 6mm NMP over the existing wooden floor boards and I will then be running UFH cable that will take up an area of 6sqm around the center of the room.

The folk I bought the tiles from recommended the Dunlop Large Format and Natural Stone tile adhesive in white with a Dunlop primer. I can't source this locally and would rather walk into Topps Tiles or Wickes and buy something there rather than pay a hefty delivery charge on the Dunlop.

Do I need a fast drying adhesive? It would be handy if I didn't have to wait a week before I can walk on the floor.

At the end of the day I wanna get the best products for the job, so any recommendations and general tiling advice would be greatly received.

Thanks in advance,
Mat.
With travertine and UFH I would also seriously consider using a decoupling membrane too. Check out Durabase from our Sponsors Wetdecs. I personally wouldn't lay Trav over UFH without it. :thumbsup:

Reply to Which Primer & Adhesive - NMP, UFH & Travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen