Search the forum,

Discuss Which one? - DIY Kitchen Tiling Job :) in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Good Afternoon.

Looking at taking on my first DIY Tiling job in our kitchen. I will be covering roughly 3.5m2 and will be using a 20x10cm ceramic tile (ToppsTiles Matrix White tile).

Watched various online videos etc but i'm confused which adhesive i should use. Was initially set on a ready mixed one for ease etc but after reading many reviews on different sites im now even more confused than before.

I just wanted something that was easy to work with, wasn't going to set to quick as this is my first time tiling.

I have borrowed this picture from another thread (sorry to the owner), basically our kitchen is identical so its mainly a splashback but we don't have the small upstand anymore.

Any recommendations please would be appreciated.

kitchen.jpg

Last edited:

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I have no idea, i haven't tried/didn't know to test it to be honest. All i know its probably a trade type emulsion.

When you say 'wet up', what do you mean? can it be wiped clean?

I mean does it darken when wet. If so then it’s porous and needs to be removed , some can simply be scrubbed off with a scotch pad.
it’s not really advisable to tile on emulsion.

As for adhesive choice , then the one Julian mentioned is ok for that size tiles , follow instructions on the bucket

Reaction score
I mean does it darken when wet. If so then it’s porous and needs to be removed , some can simply be scrubbed off with a scotch pad.
it’s not really advisable to tile on emulsion.

As for adhesive choice , then the one Julian mentioned is ok for that size tiles , follow instructions on the bucket

Ok thank you, will check tonight. Around the cooker/hob area it does have staining from oil etc which i was going to lightly sand/key up prior to fitting the tiles anyway. Then would it be beneficial to clean with sugar soap?

Or do i need to fully remove all paint to be 100% sure.

Reply to Which one? - DIY Kitchen Tiling Job :) in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen