Discuss Which adhesive for tiling and jointing on Hardie Backer? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
This coming weekend I’ll be installing Hardie Backer 500 boards for my en suite shower re-fit.

I’m just after some recommendations for adhesives to use, specifically:

1. Which adhesives are good for applying over the jointing tape for the joints between boards and corners?

2. Which adhesives are good for the tiles themselves? They’ll be 250x500mm ceramic tiles, 10mm thick.

Cheers!

Reaction score
I forgot to say, would you recommend applying a primer to the boards before tiling? I know the manufacturer doesn’t require it for HBs but wondering what real world advice is.

If so, what do you like to use?

F

Flintstone

Real world, yes prime with 3 to 1 acrylic primer or sbr. Adhesive, any reputable S1 rated adhesive. Find a local decent tile shop and see what they have, probably standard set if your new to tiling, you can use that under the boards and for tiling

W

WetSaw

Ideally you'll be tanking the Hardie board as it's not waterproof. Also ceramic tiles aren't ideal in wet areas as they absorb moisture.

F

Flintstone

I assumed he meant for the floor, I don't think the 6mm boards are suitable for walls are they ?

G

GoneGuy

12mm hardieboards for walls. And as mentioned any reputable s1 adhesive. The boards need to be tanked as they are only water resistant not waterproof

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone, this forum is great.

The boards will be 12mm HB boards, and yes I will be tanking them (I’ve ordered the BAL tanking kit). They’ll just be used for the 3 shower walls - I’m keeping the existing shower tray in place. They’ll be butting up against some existing tiles which are outside of the wet area (other side of the shower door).

As the reason for the shower overhaul is because previous owners just had plasterboard behind old shower (which perished unsurprisingly when the water got in), I’m keen to take a belt and braces approach to sealing.

As I’m working with the existing shower tray and replacing the walls around it, I’m going to install a Sealex trim first to ensure a good seal of the joint with the top of the shower tray, and then will apply the tanking kit after that.

Thanks for the info on the S1 adhesive, I’ll take a look what my local shop’s got on that front. I assume I can use the S1 adhesive on top of the tape for the joints between HB boards?

Could I also use it to fill the corner gaps where the walls meet at 90 degrees before tiling, then sealant for the corners after tiling is done?

T

Time's Ran Out

Hardie suggest no primer is required so why not just clean with a damp sponge and tile with a bagged cement based adhesive.
Why use a water resistant board with a 10 year guarantee then seal the surface with a paint on tanking product which could reduce the weight ratio of the substrate.
For me I’d just use Wedi or Jackoboard.

Reply to Which adhesive for tiling and jointing on Hardie Backer? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks