Currently reading:
which adhesive for encaustic cement tiles on wall?

Discuss which adhesive for encaustic cement tiles on wall? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

MTiler

You need to get rid of as much of the paint as possible and roughen the surface so the adhesive has a 'key' to grip. Use an acrylic primer. You will need to use a cement based adhesive, something like Mapei Keraflex Maxi is good. Make sure adhesive is completely dry before you seal them. if youre grouting them use a fine grout. Dark grouts can stain. They can be easily cut with a diamond blade on a grinder.

Sharon

A

Ardorban

You need to get rid of as much of the paint as possible and roughen the surface so the adhesive has a 'key' to grip. Use an acrylic primer. You will need to use a cement based adhesive, something like Mapei Keraflex Maxi is good. Make sure adhesive is completely dry before you seal them. if youre grouting them use a fine grout. Dark grouts can stain. They can be easily cut with a diamond blade on a grinder.

Sharon

Sharon,

Sharon
thank you Sharon, so I rough up the wall to provide a key, but do I need to put an acrylic primer on as you suggest on?

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Encaustic tiles and cooking oil (from a Wok).....not the best combination IMHO.

A stand alone cooker (like a Range?), then screw a batten to the wall as the tiles are heavy (compared to ceramic tiles of the same size).

Be aware that the sides of the encaustic tile is not pretty, especially if it's going to be a cut tile.

As stated above, you must use a white powdered adhesive and leave to fully cure (a few days). You must work clean because the tiles you have chosen are very much prone to staining. They are very soft too.

"Lithofin stain stop" is the sealer I would use. These tiles will soak up the sealer....just follow the instructions on the can.

Good luck with your project, and don't forget to post your pics!

A

Ardorban

Finally did it thanks to advice particularly from misstiler - thank you!
IMG_20170906_173845714.jpg

W

WetSaw

So mean . Ok I’ll take it on the chin, but first tiling I’ve ever done and I like off centre , more real. Or I was trying to minimise cutting!

Now I know how skilled tiling is, can anyone recommend a tiler for about 10 sq metre of bathroom tiling in NW2 in mid Feb?

The lining stuff up and centering things is something that most of us are cursed with!

Reply to which adhesive for encaustic cement tiles on wall? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log burner on a plaster render on blockwork wall. I’m planning to score and scrape the paint off the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement