Search the forum,

Discuss When a hole size is just too tight (Part 2) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 1779

Sometimes when drilling a hole you find it is too tight for a fitting to pass through.

This could be a disaster if the tile has already been fitted on the wall. This rescue is not pretty but it will get you out of trouble in certain situations.

Dsc07728.jpg

Conventional drilling with a pilot drill would definately be a disaster because the centre has been removed. But with a diamond drill kit it is possible to rescue the tile and ease the edges out.

Start by placing the drill guide slightly over the edge of the tile to form a moon crescent.

Dsc07707.jpg

Press the drill plate and start to drill a crescent. Here you can see we are drilling a series of them. If you want an even wider hole then just make more moon shapes like this

Dsc07730.jpg

Eventyally you can cut the slices out.

Dsc07731.jpg

Test your fitting to see if it passes in.

Dsc07732.jpg

This is not a pretty sight. But its done the job

Dsc07733.jpg

A final wash with the sponge is good enough to clean up the hole.

Dsc07734.jpg

Obviously this is an ugly looking hole and only for items which will be capped off with a shroud or in places where the fitting is hidden.

If you want a better looking hole then you are better off buying a bigger size core drill. For example this is a 30mm core and you would be better off using a 35mm core. Only do this sort of work if you are in a hurry, emergency or the fitting in not ever going to be seen.

Richard​

----------​

D

Deleted member 1779

I am probably confusing the topic by using soft tile to demo ideas for hard tile. Nippers are good for soft tiles that arent already fitted.

The idea for this topic is to suggest ways to widen holes in hard material. I must splash out on more expensive tiles to photo the demos!

You have to suspend believe twice in this topic. First to imagine it is a hard tile. Then to imagine it has already been fitted to the wall.

There are many situations where you might retrofit items and would not want to disturb hard tile or granite already fitted.

For example a lot of plumbers fit new boilers into kitchens onto porcelain tiles already fitted. If the clients design is a few years old and you went and cracked one then its curtains....

The suggestion is supposed to be that you can carefully overbore a hole in granite or porcelain.

L

L & R CERAMICS

What's wrong with parrot nippers?
ive got 2 pair ,id rather get my cordless out and drill a hole with a half inch bit and then nibble away ,i get a good feeling when i do a decent cut by hand it might take a bit more time but thats what tiling is all about i suppose

D

Deleted member 1779

Nothing wrong with parrot nippers at all. Everyone has their own method to increase a hole size. But take a look at the precission you can achieve without a nibble.

Now this one below is spot on. So good in fact the customer took off the cowl normally used to hide scruffy nibble work. Thats just silicone in the joint.

tap2.jpg

And then see this one. The cap has been pulled back to reveal another perfect hole but without any silicone. Thats a 16mm bore with a 15mm rad pipe.

tap1.jpg

And again on this bath tap. A 30mm hole but covered with a plate. The plate has been pulled back to reveal the fitting. Again no silicone. If silicone was used it would look as great at the top one.

tap3.jpg

Its pression stuff done in a few mins into very hard and very expensive porcelain tiles fitted to the wall. (You dont want to be breaking them on the wall ! ) And with this contemporary type of minimalist look the customers love to see a bit of accuracy. Especially when they can pull back cover plates to see whats behind. And they do look !

Yes Parrots have their place. Yes there are other ways to open up a hole. But in my opinion (and its just my opinion) ya cant beat this sort of job presentation to your customers. Its top end stuff and what they will be looking at day-in day-out for years after.

I've posted on other pages that we offer a 100% money back if you think our kit is a load of old rubbish. Of course its not so please try them.

Reply to When a hole size is just too tight (Part 2) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen