Discuss What tile adhesive to go for? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rhodri

Hi, been looking all day and no closer to finding a suitable adhesive.

It's for bathroom walls, tiling on top of the current glazed tiles on 3 out of the 4 walls. 4th wall tiles have pretty much fallen off so am pulling the others off.

Tiles are 600x300mm and each tile weighs 3.95kgs!

Can't find anything which ticks all three of those boxes. Closest I've found is an evo-stik pre mixed adhesive. Says suitable for on top of tiles and 600x300 but only up to 3.5kgs.

Nothing else seems to come close.

Explores cement based ones but wondering if too difficult for my limited abilities using one of these with shorter pot lifes etc .

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

F

Flintstone

It’s not wise to stick those tiles over the old tiles As it will be far too heavy for the wall, and if some have already fallen off I guess there not stuck all that well. Take them all off

R

Rhodri

Thanks for the reply. Think the reason they've come off the one wall is it's the external wall and in the past damp got in and they came off wall. This is why previous homeowner used pvc cladding over tiles. The house has been externally clad since so no longer gets damp.

Q

Qwerty

I wouldn't dream of tiling on tiles with 30x60 porcs. You will most likely exceed the permitted weight limits and the walls sound in poor condition. And using a pre mixed adhesive in your circumstances is a massive no no. I take it that the walls are plastered?

R

Rhodri

Yes plastered some years ago. What is my best bet then? Cost wise mainly but ease too?

Take tiles back and get smaller/lighter ones and continue with plan or keep tiles and knock the whole lot off and tile over the walls? Or get it remastered soon. Was hoping wouldn't have to get it plastered. And the Mrs friend in work said this way was feasible, knew the guy was full of it when he did a job for us before which was terrible!

Cheers

R

Rookery

Ignoring all other aspects of the proposed job, you need a cement based powdered adhesive you mix with water. Mapei Adesilex P would be my choice. Its not dear and has a long pot life. The rest of the job is full of ifs buts and maybes. I wouldn't bother to re-plaster. You're paying for another trade and a finish you're going to cover up. Your best bet might be to overboard all the walls with plasterboard, tank as required then crack on with your 60 x 30's.

R

Rhodri

That's great. Glad I asked now! Thanks

Will I need a trowel to apply the adhesive? Only tiling I've done before is the kitchen wirh much smaller tiles and a premixed adesive and did that with a plastic notched thing... lol

F

Flintstone

100% you should take off the old tiles, see what’s there, post a photo and go from there.

R

Rhodri

Cheers all. Was going to start Saturday so will pop a picture up then. I'll put a photo of the one half that's off tomorrow when get in from nights.

Appreciate the helo

R

Rhodri

Great! And mix it all up by hand can I or should I borrow a mixer off my plasterer mate and flexi tub?

Which Mapei Adesilex P? 9?

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GoneGuy

I would recommend knocking all old tiles off, reboard with plasterboard and use a cement board in wet area/shower.
Doing this will give you a nice flat surface for you to start off.
As said in other posts use a cement based (powder) adhesive and mix with a paddle mixer in a flexi tub and make sure you follow mixing guides on the bag.
As with trowel size 10mm should be good as if you re board you will have a nice flat surface so you won’t have to pack out any tiles.

R

Rookery

Yes Mapei P Nine. Someone's nicked the number off my keyboard. You can mix by hand but its better to use a clean whisk.

Reply to What tile adhesive to go for? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks