Search the forum,

Discuss What tile adhesive is used for large format tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

well the test tiles i put up sunday were stuck solid this morning. couldn't dudge them. the walls were sanded first, then primed. 24 hours later another primer. 24 hours later a tile was stuck on. pulled half the wall off getting them off. strange how no other combination worked at all. not even slightly. thanks again. have to start getting to my jobs 3 days early.

understanding your substrates isnt too hard steve ...if the plaster/concrete etc etc is really dry, its just simply a case of balancing the suction...just get used to the difference of sealing and bonding.
higher water ratios to begin with,
adequate time to take effect & seal,
then reduce the ratios for bond

glad your sorted:thumbsup:

S

stevep1

yeah great call ed. how did you know that. i must have been lucky in the past. i have primed the day before but only on an existing job to save time in the morning. all new jobs i just prime first thing then go about getting set up and set out, then if it's dry, start. all the instructions say is brush it on and when dry or tacky, get on with it. or if 2 coats needed , let first dry. no mention of 24 hours. what do you do when working away. you're gonna lose a day. clever man :smilewinkgrin:

A

Aston

hi steve
you dont always have to leave it 24 hrs. early morning or the eveing before is normally adequate, its just in your case/scenario, we needed to make sure there were no more problems and 24 hrs gteed that:thumbsup: just always test the suction of your walls..you'll know the score now in the future, you wont get caught twice :thumbsup: if in doubt, leave the 1st coat over night ...

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Steve, I would just like to add, none of us ever stop learning. Dave, Ed, and all the other members, imo are top of the tree. You don't get better advice anywhere, I am still learning after 43yrs and will continue to learn, until they "lay the sod over me".

But I do agree, the different primers etc. can be confusing, ie: dilution 4-1, 6-1, 3-1:mad2: it is only since cement based adhesives came in (cement & plaster are worst enemies) we need to abrade new skim, and prime accordingly. I have said in the past we now have to be chemists as well as tilers. I always ring tech. dept. if I am in doubt.:thumbsup:

S

stevep1

i must admit ,Phil, being a domestic tiler for the past 15 years and using a different tile on different walls every week, i thought i knew most things about tiling. The facts are i've learned as much in the last week, reading postings on this site, than i have in that whole time.

Reply to What tile adhesive is used for large format tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen