Search the forum,

Discuss What sise spacers for 600x400 Trav? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bluevin123

Hi,

Does anyone know what size spacers would be best to use laying 600x400 Travertine tiles?
Cheers.
Vinnie.:thumbsup:

T

tilestars

when deciding what space for a natural stone you have to consider which stone it is ,how thick it is and how it is cut, distressed edged tiles often look better with wider joints 4-6mm looks good even 10-20mm joints look good with certain flagstone type of materials ,3mm joint will look nice for 60x40 machine finished edges, i would say 5-6mm for tumbled edges

D

diamondtiling

I use 2mm on Travertine, I have just finished 80 mtrs and it looks great with the small grout line.

Reaction score
its a personal choice , but i always try and stick to bsi regs , if a small area then 2mm , if heated 3mm always it gives the tile more chance in the movement department. seen so many failures on the heated floors when a 2mm or less joint has been used but then you dont know if the client has listened to the tiler regarding the heated floor

D

diamondtiling

after laying at least 300 travertine floors over UFH I have yet to see one fail, if installed correctly 2mm is fine.

:thumbsup:

Reaction score
if installed correctly , but then many dont fit it correctly and failers happen , but as i said i dont blame the tiler , most of the time its the customer that is at fault because they dont listen

Last edited:
S

Spud

the joint size on stone is not a personal choice thing guys it all depends on the material and how thick it is, you cant use a 2mm joint on a 20mm thick porous limestone as the grout would never reach the bottom of the joint and therefore not be doing its job properly,protecting the tile edge from chipping and finding the small gaps under the edges of the stone , some of the harder stones might be okay but you need to consider the thickness of the stone and how porous it is when deciding what joint size to use :thumbsup:

H

hillhead

I mostly go with 2mm on trav provided its well cut and sized,but iv been using 4mms lately too,

Reply to What sise spacers for 600x400 Trav? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi any advice on what would go with what. I've layed off white tiles on floor with grey...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi first timer to tile, im getting all my prep work and tools. My question is will the self...
Replies
Views
Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
What is best way to lay outside 20mm Porcelain patio, Would I compact soil, add hardcore and...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen