Search the forum,

Discuss What is a good make epoxy? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
An epoxy can be used as a tile fixing or tile grouting solution although often only used as a tile grout due to it's high costs. the advantage of using epoxy as a grout is the pure fact that it's impervious to not only water, many chemicals can also not work it's way through the epoxy once cured. This allows it to be used in Food Preparation areas such as commercial kitchens and the likes. Using an epoxy as a grout in a shower environment will also ensure your shower will not leak to any floors below it providing other methods of tanking are carried out to enforce the epoxy.

A good make that's easy to apply and clean off is one manufactured by Mapei.

M

Mudster

Epoxy grout is awful stuff, it's one of those products that requires regular practice to use and I've really been involved in work that requires that specification of grout.

Of course if you fit out restaurants for a lving you'll be using it day in and dayout, and getting through a fair few grout floats and sponges I imagine.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Ever used a really poor brand epoxy? Those can be a real nightmare. Mapei is the easiest I've used but I've only used three makes, I think those were GRanfix or Graflex, can't remember which one let me have a sample or two, then there was the Mapei gear which I've done large and small floors and walls with in many variations of colours and tile types (even 100 x 100 rough finish slate on a floor and something like 200 x 300 Matt finish flat slate on walls, all black with black epoxy, crazy shower that way).

T

tiler burden

hi

i have recently finished a course and epoxy grouting was talked about but not actually practised.

can any of you pros, give me an idea of how difficult it is to use. can you practise it or do you need to be shown?? finally how much can you do at a time??

cheers

tiler

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Tiler,

Do a meter at a time at the most, you can practise it of course! Get a couple of small tubs, different brands preferably and get going on some made up pretend floors in your garage at home with some 100 x 100 tiles (to get more grout practise in).

You have to use an epoxy grout float, which is a harder rubber float that you spread a small amount of epoxy on to and then press into the joint. The trick is to try and not get too much on the tile surface.

Then once you have spread a meters worth, get your epoxy emulsifying scouring pad thing and do small circular motions with it when the pad is slightly wet.

Then use a sponge to wipe the final grime off the tile surface.

It's important to not let the epoxy dry on the tile, you can't get it off the next day like normal grouts. You have to do everything with your 1 square meter while the epoxy is wet, get it looking really clean, grout joints well filled, tiles all shiny and smooth again and no sticky texture to them, then do another meter. :)

Hope this helps :)

T

tiler burden

many thanks admin

excellent advice and tips, very much appreciated

best regards

tilerb

T

tony TLC

i dont think there is an easy epoxy do small amounts kepp it very clean this realy is horrible stuff were good ppe ie gloves face mask nasty stuff

Reply to What is a good make epoxy? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen