Search the forum,

Discuss What adhesive to use for Jackoboard? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Lakie

Hi all, I'm new to this forum & tiling in general & am after some advice on adhesives.

I am installing a wet room area on a timber frame (to be over boarded in 18mm ply) using a Jackoboard shower tray former & will be installing 12.5mm Jackoboard onto the existing plaster walls (old tiles & 90% of the old adhesive removed).

What primer & adhesive would people recommend to fix the Jackoboard shower tray to the plywood base & to fix the Jackoboard to the walls?

I bought the whole kit from tradewetrooms.com & have their tanking kit to use as well.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Q

Qwerty

What adhesive to use for Jackobaord?

Welcome to the forum. Introduce yourself in the new members section

To answer your question though...... Jackoboard is a cement faced extruded core board and you will require a rapid setting single part flexible (SPF) cement tile adhesive to bed it down with. Any SPF adhesive from Weber, Mapei, tilemaster will be fine. You may wish to continue using this adhesive on the walls also, but you could use a standard setting SPF on the walls. Don't forget to mechanically fix the wall boards as well (jackoboard state no requirement if on a flat and even surface, but I thoroughly recommend you do.) I assume they are being fitted to a solid wall?
As for primer......just use the same manufacturers primer as the adhesive. No PVA,!!

This can be quite a big project for people that have no experience in tanking wet rooms or tiling. Are you doing this yourself?

http://www.tradewetrooms.com/downloads/dl/file/id/2/jackoboard_timber_installation_instructions.pdf

All the best.

L

Lakie

Welcome to the forum. Introduce yourself in the new members section 

To answer your question though...... Jackoboard is a cement faced extruded core board and you will require a rapid setting single part flexible (SPF) cement tile adhesive to bed it down with. Any SPF adhesive from Weber, Mapei, tilemaster will be fine. You may wish to continue using this adhesive on the walls also, but you could use a standard setting SPF on the walls. Don't forget to mechanically fix the wall boards as well (jackoboard state no requirement if on a flat and even surface, but I thoroughly recommend you do.) I assume they are being fitted to a solid wall?
As for primer......just use the same manufacturers primer as the adhesive. No PVA,!!

This can be quite a big project for people that have no experience in tanking wet rooms or tiling. Are you doing this yourself?

All the best.

Thanks for the reply, I have been advised to use BAL bond sbr primer on the walls prior to fixing the Jackoboard.

The tanking system comes with a primer (says it's an sbr primer on the label), the tanking tape, corners & the tanking solution.
I have watched a load of installation videos for the tanking etc & feel pretty confident on that.

What should i use to mechanically fix the boards?

L

Lakie

I think that the washers & stainless screws are the best idea as one of the three walls I'm cladding is skimmed plasterboard.
That way I can screw through into the studs.
Great name tho ;)

L

Lakie

You will require a rapid setting single part flexible (SPF) cement tile adhesive to bed it down with. Any SPF adhesive from Weber, Mapei, tilemaster will be fine. You may wish to continue using this adhesive on the walls also, but you could use a standard setting SPF on the walls.
All the best.

I've been advised by a mate who has done quite a bit of tiling to use BAL primer & adhesive & in following your advice above have stumbled upon a problem.

It appears that BAL do an SPF adhesive or a rapid set adhesive that requires an additive, but not a rapid set SPF adhesive?

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I need to order this today as I want to install the Jackoboard at the weekend ideally.

S

Stef

I've been advised by a mate who has done quite a bit of tiling to use BAL primer & adhesive & in following your advice above have stumbled upon a problem.

It appears that BAL do an SPF adhesive or a rapid set adhesive that requires an additive, but not a rapid set SPF adhesive?

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I need to order this today as I want to install the Jackoboard at the weekend ideally.

ry4abu6u.jpg

Reply to What adhesive to use for Jackoboard? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen