Discuss Wet UFH slate tiles HELP!! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

OttieW

I have just found your forum and wondered if any of your experts could help with my question please?
We have had wet UFH overlay boards installed in a hallway (9m long by 1m wide) with the wet UFH pipes. This is connected to a large kitchen area UFH on top of Celotex boards (which will have screed before the slate tiling).
We are worried about movement/cracking in the hallway and want to get it right. The pipes sit slightly proud of the overlay boards and the boards are not fixed. It's narrow. It's an old house so we can't use a self levelling product as it'll find a way out!
What do we need to do now to lay the slate tiles please?
Thanks in advance

O

Old Mod

I've never seen pipes sit proud of the boards before,
Some companies do a selection of boards and pipe dimensions. They are the correct sized pipes to boards I assume?

Reaction score
what make overlay system is it?
Is there any movement in the boards when you walk on them?
Personally I like to stick or mechanical fix the boards down glueing the joints
I'd look into the manufacturers fixing spec

O

OttieW

what make overlay system is it?
Is there any movement in the boards when you walk on them?
Personally I like to stick or mechanical fix the boards down glueing the joints
I'd look into the manufacturers fixing spec
Hi Mike,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes there is movement in the boards. The pipes are Banasol but no marking on the boards....

O

OttieW

You can still use a leveller, you can just seal all the possible points of escape with silicone, expanding foam or duct tape. Things like that.
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. You comments have been really useful :)

S

SJPurdy

searched for banasol pipes on the web. I seems they are an Indian manufacturer. I couldn't (in my quick look) see anything about UFH systems so I suggest you get the details/fixing specs from the installer to check that it has been done correctly. It is important that there is no movement in the substrate before fitting the tiles - The floor should be solid/rigid and there should be no deflection when walked over otherwise the tiles and/or grout will crack.

Reply to Wet UFH slate tiles HELP!! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks