Search the forum,

Discuss Weight Limits in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

afright

TF
Reaction score
Had a look at a job yesterday its a new build ,Bathroom and Shower en-suite about 50 m2 walls are all ply the tiles are 600 x 300 porcs,boxes stated the weight of 32 kg.I explained about the weight issue and he more or less said "if your'e not interested then there are other tilers that would do it" and he said "he never heard of this before and on his last two build's the tiler never mentioned this",now in a bit of a dilemma ? do I do it or walk,its a nice job and I really do not want to loose it there are another two tilers after it and I will not know until Monday if I have got the job.I am aware of the weight's what you can put on plasterboard/backer board just a bit unsure with ply always work on the same as plasterboard unskimmed,have been trolling the net is there a printable weight limit table for this so I can show customers what the limit is ?.I do believe that this house will be his home just cant understand why they dont listen.

Last edited:
S

steve187

Ply is not a good service to tile to. it bends and warps, in my opinion it will need over boarding, It would seem the builder knows everything and will just go for the cheaper option. sorry no weight limits on ply. Looks like a job that may require walking a way from.

S

Sean SML Tiling

There is a thread on here somewhere about weight limits which I started and I think sir ramic put a lust up of the weight limits.

afright

TF
Reaction score
Have tried to find a thread on here but with no luck. the job was all plyed when I got there did tell him to overboard but he said the ply is ok,think straight away I got on the wrong side of the builder with what I said.

S

Sean SML Tiling

I remember dan put a comment on my thread before about a tile falling off the wall and killing a kid. Might be worth printing in off and showing the customer and hope they then realise the damage it can cause.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
right, just looked in me book I got about weight limits, say's in there 30kg per m2 on to ply so could be just over the limit....but tiling on ply's dodgey anyway..

afright

TF
Reaction score
Yes I do understand about the ply issue have had it plenty of times, worked for a hotel/pub chain for 14 years everything was ply,I always made an issue in telling them to stop using it in the shower rooms but same thing they said I dont stop moaning now everything is opening up and they keep going back to repair cracked tiles but only used ceramic a lot of the time with them.

Reply to Weight Limits in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen