Search the forum,

Discuss weight limits in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

pipeline

evening men... was thinking to myself the other day,, about liquid and on the roll waterproof membrane and how they effect tile weight limits and does it make any difference to the limits... as you are tiling on to a membrane and not to surface stated it in weights and limits guide.. thanks

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
As far as weight goes itll only reallt need consideration if its going onto plasterboard. It would easily be less than 1Kg psm. Allow a kilo in your weights and you'll have it covered.

Always follow the manufacturers instructions when it comes to the prep of the substrate before applying your WPC.

P

pipeline

Hi aligage.. Thanks for reply but could u explain why i need to take more consideration when using wpc on plaster board.. Thanks

W

White Room

Gypsum plasterboard will absorb moisture like a sponge if water creeps through the grout joints...

P

pipeline

Ok i understand that... I just want to know if the 30kg psm weight limit applies to plasterboard even if it has a water proof membrane on it. Thanks

W

White Room

Is that a liquid membrane or the fleecy type...

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pipeline

Hi white beam.. It is just a theoretical question.. I would mind knowing your opinion on both materials. Much appreciated thanks

W

White Room

Liquid would be next to nothing, the fleece would be about 1/2 kg m2 maximum including the adhesive used....plasterboard takes 32kg m2.

I

Ian

BAL state that their liquid kit (wp1) can hold up to 32kg per m2, it will be substrate dependant though, skimmed PB will still only be able to take 20kg tanking or not. So according to this data the wp1 kit won't be suitable for heavy stone even if it is fitted to a cement board, although the substrate can cope with the stone, the liquid membrane can't.

P

pipeline

Ok great. So whats the best surface to put heavy tiles on to.. Also do u do many jobs where the tiles weigh more than 30kg thanks

- - - Updated - - -

30Kg psm i ment

Reply to weight limits in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen