Search the forum,

Discuss Weight limits in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

I've had to over board a wall this week to straighten it up (dot and dabbed plaster board) and something occured to me, surely the weight limit for tiling is greatly reduced per square metre as the original substrate is supporting the dot and dabbed board and the tile/addy/grout. Am I wrong in thinking this?

M

Michael kiss

What was the on the wall Bri? if you are back to brick or block work will be fine with plenty of dry wall adhesive, they may be a problem if its on plaster, regarding how strong the plaster is with all the extra weight.

R

Rich

Any chance of screwing throught? I dont like overboarding without screwing it back for that reason.

I

Ian

It was existing plaster board screwed to stud work, I screwed the bottom in but had to dab the top as the wall fell away as it went up to the ceiling, I suppose I could put long screws through the top now that the dabs have gone off. I have seen walls dot and dabbed over existing rendered and skimmed walls, so I guess this is not ideal.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
best way is to always knockoff and dot and dab straight onto backing,or re screw into timber. not always possible ofcourse. as someone said bri,just put a few screwa through into timber

W

White Room

If you do mechanical fix don't break the surface of the paper with the head of the screw.

Reply to Weight limits in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen