Search the forum,

Discuss Weight limit in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Andy S tile

Hi Folks
Gotta tile an en-suite tomorrow with 400 x 300 marble and was a bit concerned about the wieght issue. 1 box of tiles containes 6 tiles and comes in at 22kg. 3 of the walls are studded, then plasterboard which has then been skimmed. As i,m right on the limit for a skimmed plasterboard thats been dot and dab,b, does this limit reduce even further on studded walls??

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GazTech

Hi Folks
Gotta tile an en-suite tomorrow with 400 x 300 marble and was a bit concerned about the wieght issue. 1 box of tiles containes 6 tiles and comes in at 22kg. 3 of the walls are studded, then plasterboard which has then been skimmed. As i,m right on the limit for a skimmed plasterboard thats been dot and dab,b, does this limit reduce even further on studded walls??
Sorry Andy it does, its the skim that is holding the tiles. If you use steam stripper gently and remove the skim you are within plasterboard weights.....Gaz

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

That works m2 at about 30kg, just plasterboard is max 32kg Skimmed board is 20kg and will be overloading the plaster. Should ok on studded walls, The skimmed board is the issue

A

Andy S tile

Thanks Gaz (i think) lol. Spent all today preping the walls and floor, even tanked the shower and all the time this was nagging at the back of my mind, should,ve asked this on monday me thinks!!!

G

GazTech

Thanks Gaz (i think) lol. Spent all today preping the walls and floor, even tanked the shower and all the time this was nagging at the back of my mind, should,ve asked this on monday me thinks!!!
Blimey,I could have nipped around the corner for a quick look.....Gaz :grin:

A

Andy S tile

Which do you reckon gonna be the quickest dave?? Scrape the skim or overboard, i know which would be the cheapest but if it gonna take 2 days, overboarding sounds good, thing is the shower tray gonna have to come out and the door arching taken off! Devil and the deep blue!!

S

Spud

the only issue with over baording might be that the shower door might not fit in to the opening size if you over board its a great tip if you have the room

D

DHTiling

It would take no time to overboard the areas that are not effected by adding another skin....but the door areas then this is different as it effects the architrave/door lining...

You could just remove the existing plasterboard and re-new....but this will involve removing the tray if it's in the way....

To remove skim from the plasterboard will be very messy and could soften the board up if the stripper is held on to long thus weakening the board.....

It's all in the prep work....if you have time and the possibilty to do it rip the old boards off and re-board....or over board where you can and replace the sections you can't.....:thumbsup:

A

Andy S tile

Thanks guys
I,ll talk it over with the customer tomorrow, this is only half the job though unfortunatley he wants the main bathroom tiling aswell and he,s planning on getting 600 x 300 porcelaine for that one, not worked the weight out yet as he ain,t got em on site but looks like i,m gonna have a dejavu moment next week!!!!!!!

Reply to Weight limit in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen