Search the forum,

Discuss Weight limit problems again ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Last night I got a call asking me to tile an Ensuite and as the chat progressed I found out that the room was on paramount boards that had previously been tiled. When the old tiles ( which I tiled some years ago) were removed it obviously damaged teh walls. So it was patched and re skimmed.

In the shower cubicle itself they have moved some pipework. So the back wall of the shower is half ply and half plasterboard running vertical . These pipes are central heating and hot and cold pipes, so you can imagine what will happen.

The tiles chosen are 400x400x 15mm Marble ! I estimated the weight being over 40Kgs per m2 which is double the weight limit allowed. Coupled with the fact that the back wall where ply meets plaster is an accident waiting to happen and the mentioned weight issues, I declined the job.

Now the site manager wanted me to tile it but also agreed with all issues . His boss just says to get it tiled. I wont do it so the bricklayer will !

Now the site manager was asking why they were sold these tiles if there are all these issues and weren't the tile shop responsible in any way ? I cant really see how they can be unless they knew the substrate !

Well as it stands at the moment it will get tiled no matter what, the bricklayer will do it as it has to be done by Tuesday. The tiles cant be changed as the client is abroad on holiday......The client is a designer /Architect !!!

Update before I even finish typing this.....another phone call from site manager.....asking will I tile it if they accept a disclaimer from me ? NO !

Its one of those jobs I would love to watch being done but I will steer well clear......Right off to clean my windows !

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stewart

It's amazing how many sites have Jim Henson running them and it won't change until someone is severally injured or killed. Sound extreme, but it will happen some day!!

Reply to Weight limit problems again ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen