Search the forum,

Discuss WBP 18mm onto floor boards?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

John the tile

Hey up

Just looked at a bathroom and the women has got your normal old floorboards down, not chipboard,..

Do these need to be removed to see if there is enough noggins underneath or can I just lay the 18mm straight on top of these? or is it best that there removed altogether...?

Does it have to be 18mm as these floorboards are about 15mm themselves. Could i not put down a thinner wbp ply down, - im gona be using a cement board on top aswell.

Thanks

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If there is no deflection then 15mm ply can be used. If there is some deflection then personally i'd lift the floor boards, add some extra noggins and put 18mm down

G

grumpygrouter

Yes, agree with Suave. If no deflection then 6mm hardie, if there is deflection sort it first THEN 6mm hardie!!

J

John the tile

excellent.

I have just spoke to my friend and he says hes got to take up all the floorboards to do some pipework etc underneath.

So now Im given the ideal opportunity to get some noggins in to make the floor as deflection free as possible.

So from whats been said above, those floorboards will do the same job as the 18mm wbp ply? From what ive read elsewhere on here its best to use the wbp 18mm then hardie?

Just need opinions as theres more work and expense if I buy a sheet of wbp 18mm. (which i dont mind)

Would the underside of the floor boards needs priming.? What about taping all the joints?

(just to confirm the floorboards are the 6 inch wide ones) Would flexible addy stick to them when putting the cement board down?

Thanks any more advice..

R

Rich

Hi mate, In an ideal world, the best thing to do would be to rip them out, lay min 18mm WBP ply and then over board with a cement board. However, if you can get those floor boards deflection free and they are not damaged (damp or rot) then you should be fine over boarding straight over these with a 6mm cement board, I think hardie would be the best bet as they recommend laying the boards over a bed of tile adhesive to fill any voids rather then a gunned in glue.

R

Rich

excellent.

I have just spoke to my friend and he says hes got to take up all the floorboards to do some pipework etc underneath.

So now Im given the ideal opportunity to get some noggins in to make the floor as deflection free as possible.

So from whats been said above, those floorboards will do the same job as the 18mm wbp ply? From what ive read elsewhere on here its best to use the wbp 18mm then hardie?

Just need opinions as theres more work and expense if I buy a sheet of wbp 18mm. (which i dont mind)

Would the underside of the floor boards needs priming.? What about taping all the joints?

(just to confirm the floorboards are the 6 inch wide ones) Would flexible addy stick to them when putting the cement board down?

Thanks any more advice..

The adhesive isnt used to stick the boards down, only fill any voids under the boards and then the boards are mechanically fixed :thumbsup:

A

Aston

if your friend is going to take up all the floor boards, then make sure there is no deflection in the joists and go with rich's advice regarding installing 18mm wbp ply, overlaid with 6mm backerboard etc etc.

the problem you can have with floor boards is...most of the time they are nailed down, not screwed, so there is the possibility of movement.
creaking floor boards = movement! so mechanical fixing and expansion gaps need to be introduced to prevent the possibilty of the installation failing.

J

John the tile

perfect, im sorted now. thanks all.....

I just want to ask another quick one.

What size screws e.g how far into the joist should they be pentrating? I was thinking 25mm altogether so 18mm plus 7mm?

Also what type of screws. and would the screw heads needing sealing prior to flexi addy and cement board?

thanks

Reply to WBP 18mm onto floor boards?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen