Discuss Waterproofing Bathroom Advice in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

TinnyN

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the processing of redoing my bathroom and I am really confused as the the waterproofing methods! I have newly plastered sand cement on the walls with a shower over bath.

A) For waterproofing the walls: - should I tank with Mapegum (liquid membrane) or Mapeguard WP200 (membrane wallpaper)?

Info on Mapei Technical Sheet for
1) MAPEGUARD WP 200: Gypsum based substrates such as calcium sulphate screeds, plasterboard or gypsum plaster as well as absorbent surfaces made of concrete, aerated concrete, cement mortar and cement render must be primed, before laying MAPEGUARD WP 200, with PRIMER G or ECO PRIM T at the appropriate dilution.

2) Mapegum: Cementitious substrates must be stable and dry, and not subject to rising damp. Substrates which are highly absorbent or gypsum must be pre-treated with Primer G (usually diluted with water at a ratio of 1:1 or 1:2 to ensure thorough penetration). Wait several hours until the coating of Primer G is completely dry.

B) To seal round the bathtub - I am planning on using the Schluter Kerdi TS Bath and Shower Sealing Kit.

Is this going over the top? I believe its the wallpaper membrane that needs to be applied. Is there product to smooth out the plastering as suggested in the technical data sheets?

Many thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hi I'd say go for a tanking solution that can be painted on. Will be much easier to work with. I tend to use Mapei Aqua defense. If the bath is fitted well a decent bead of hybrid sealant should be sufficient. No need to go too overboard if the walls are block. đź‘Ť

Reply to Waterproofing Bathroom Advice in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks