Search the forum,

Discuss Wall to ceiling join. Decision to make. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

blue_max

Small fully tiled bathroom (2mx1.6m). 60x30 tiles.

Got the top row of tiles to put on and facing a dilemma! What is going to be the best way of tackling please?

The ceiling is wavy! (it varies by up to a centimetre). I will probably get it skimmed at some point to level.

The dilemma:

Option 1 - find the lowest point and line all the wall up with that. Caulk the gap.
Option 2 - get each wall as high as it can go. Each wall may finish higher than its neighbour. Caulk the gap.
Option 3 - scribe each tile to the wavy ceiling as much as possible. Caulk/silicone the gap.

I know it is not ideal, but that is the situation. I replaced the ceiling and skimmed it myself and could kick myself for not getting it all level in the first place. Not a good time cash-wise to get it done beforehand. I worry that it will look odd or worse, crack if I plaster hard up to a tile.

Hope you guys can help with my decision!

I

Ian

Cut the tiles to the ceiling mate, if it's quite a large cut from the last full row, you'll hardly notice a 10mm variance. A gap would stand out much more, trust me.

W

WetSaw

I made that mistake many years ago in my first house. Thought I'd been really clever with my setting out and it was whole tiles from top of bath to ceiling. It was......at one end of the bath.

B

blue_max

Thanks all. I'm cutting a few mm off a 30cm deep tile, so almost full tile.

If (when) I get the ceiling skimmed, will it be ok to plaster up to tiles - and not look odd?

Just thinking ahead.

I can't tell you how much I have been paralysed by this decision!

O

On one

Wouldn't bother plastering later.....too much palaver cleaning up after yourself.
As above....scribe.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've just had a bathroom ceiling that ran out 130mm over a 2.6m length and on the stud wall at the bath end it dropped 60mm over a length of 80cm. Luckily the tiles were 300mm so I scribed in and strangely enough it didn't look too bad, whitish tiles, white grout and white ceiling so not too obvious, but definitely scribe the tiles in :thumbsup:

Reply to Wall to ceiling join. Decision to make. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen