Search the forum,

Discuss Wall tiles cracking in a line in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hot water feed to shower is running where the tiles have cracked, I wonder if this has something to do with the problem.

T

Tile Shop

Wedi boards are insulating so would be surprised, but it is very odd that it is over where the pipe has been chased in.

B

Bill

Is it just me or does that wedi board look a bit strange where the tiles have been removed?

In some places the adhesive is behind the mesh - how can that be?

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Do you have any photos of before the walls were over boarded but with the shower installed?

Did the installer screw the Wedi boards to the wall as he tiled up the wall or are they only fixed with adhesive?

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I highly doubt its the quality of tiles or bath pulling them down, that would surely only break tiles below and not above. Unless there was zero expansion gap for the silicone and even at that it would be the first row of tiles It has to be what is going on behind that Wedi, can't be a condicende its where the wall has been chased

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I agree, there are 4 pipes behind there, 2 feeding the shower and 2 to the outlets.

Probably a good 100mm plus chase that has just been overboarded, probably with 6mm Wedi, wall has been leant on getting in the bath and tiles have cracked.

D

Dumbo

If the tiles have bonded properly to the wedi board it's going to look like rubbish when the tiles have come of , their is nothing wrong with the wedi other than possibly installation or thickness

T

Tile Shop

The wedi is 6mm, which is fine on a masonry wall. Not sure how much of an issue that would cause over the chased pipes though. Unless they are protruding and pressing onto the back of the board? The images are with Wedi at the moment being investigated. No response from them as yet. But may also be of benefit for a site visit.

Reply to Wall tiles cracking in a line in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen