Search the forum,

Discuss Wall dramas in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

CraigH

Thanks for your help.

With regard to just fixing to on, knauf say mechanical fixing only I assume due to weight. Each one measures 1200x900 and is over 12kg each so pretty heavy I guess

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
aquapannel do state only mech fixings, but instead of platersboard, wedi( or similar) can be stuck and tanked easily and is a better option than pb, in my personal opinion, have done it before a couple of times, as there is a housing estate in my hometown that every one is like this and have had a couple of them to do now

C

CraigH

aquapannel do state only mech fixings, but instead of platersboard, wedi( or similar) can be stuck and tanked easily and is a better option than pb, in my personal opinion, have done it before a couple of times, as there is a housing estate in my hometown that every one is like this and have had a couple of them to do now

Thanks for reply.

However I have now stuck up new plasterboard, not what I originally wanted but there you go. Will tank it to death so should be OK.

There are 2 things too, first is that when I took old stuff off it was pb, not tanked either i don't believe. Plus it was original bathroom so was 19 years old so am guessing plasterboard can't be all bad, it was bone dry with no sign of water damage anywhere.

My biggest concern tho is the middle layer of pb. When I get bored in 10 years time or so and want it doing again, or better still when I do main bathroom which shares the partition wall with my en suite it's going to be difficult. The middle layer of pb has had some stick getting this side off and as it's attached to other side in main bathroom it makes things difficult in the future.

If everytime you take the pb down the dot and dab is still there or brings part of the middle layer down with it and that is attached to the other side, it is hardly going to last.

I wrongly assumed I could just take it out and whack some nice cement boards up on the studs..... this laminate wall idea seems crazy, especially when builders know people replace bathrooms, more so when you have to take pb down to get the shower tray out!!

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I do agree with you, awful way to construct wall, but as with most things like this, it was a new idea that saved money, thankfully has largely been diacredited and is not to often used but a lot of houses from 20 ish years ago have this, and I always worry when approaching these walls especially when removing existing tiles. The best thing you can do, (I know this isn't practical right now) is try and time a bathroom refurbishment in with an ensuit refurbishment and completely replace the exsisting wall with a stud wall.

W

White Room

Thanks for reply.

However I have now stuck up new plasterboard, not what I originally wanted but there you go. Will tank it to death so should be OK.

There are 2 things too, first is that when I took old stuff off it was pb, not tanked either i don't believe. Plus it was original bathroom so was 19 years old so am guessing plasterboard can't be all bad, it was bone dry with no sign of water damage anywhere.

My biggest concern tho is the middle layer of pb. When I get bored in 10 years time or so and want it doing again, or better still when I do main bathroom which shares the partition wall with my en suite it's going to be difficult. The middle layer of pb has had some stick getting this side off and as it's attached to other side in main bathroom it makes things difficult in the future.

If everytime you take the pb down the dot and dab is still there or brings part of the middle layer down with it and that is attached to the other side, it is hardly going to last.

I wrongly assumed I could just take it out and whack some nice cement boards up on the studs..... this laminate wall idea seems crazy, especially when builders know people replace bathrooms, more so when you have to take pb down to get the shower tray out!!

These product were in use in the 80s and mid 90s and houses were going up fast, replacing bathrooms wasn't even a consideration then.

C

CraigH

Yeah, agree with replacing wall for a stud wall. Will have to be a time when I can do both at same time, that will please the wife!

All a bit rubbish really, bathroom was new 5 years ago before I bought the house, it's OK but not my taste but will have to wait now, was going to tart it up but the tiles I think we're some b and q things so not much chance of seeing the same ones.

Said before, I can understand big house builders looking at methods like these walls, just surprised me that a then local builder chucked up 13 detached homes on a street to the standard he did.. it's just poor, very poor. Sure doesn't save that much? Although pennies make pounds in business

C

CraigH

OK here's another question....

En suite was original from when house was built, or chucked up at least back in 97.

Wall tiles were stuck OK to walls, no sign of water behind or anything, but came off with most the adhesive leaving walls looking quite nice

The floor however, I did wonder if it was laid afterwards as it was tiled around the sink and toilet. All tiles on floor were in a poor state and cracked or lifting. But under the tiles was like a thin layer of a latex type material. Which seemed to be just laid on chipboard floor. Certainly wasn't stuck down. Which in my mind is why floor tiles were so wrecked.

Any ideas what this stuff was? Shame I never got a picture..

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It may of just been latex poured onto the chipboard, bad idea! This is why it will of come off like that. Please make sure you over board the floor properly before you retile.

C

CraigH

It may of just been latex poured onto the chipboard, bad idea! This is why it will of come off like that. Please make sure you over board the floor properly before you retile.

Not put much thought into floor yet, taking it one step at a time, trying to fit it in round work/wife/kids so isn't proving to be a quick job.

I assumed some sort of tile board and scree that right down and tile over that?

Reply to Wall dramas in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen