Search the forum,

Discuss victorian geometric floors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jwatson

Thanks will be given to quality advice on this subject and will surly get a couple of rounds in in the forum arms.

i was reading a post a couple of weeks ago about a client who wanted a wall job completing without spacers or as little as the 1mm and i think it was dave who provided the client with the british standards(2mm) on a wall.

Looking at original victorian floors and a video of company installing a reproduction they seem to have a 1mm space. where do i as a tiler stand on this, is there any regulations on spaces on reproduction victorian floors and also a restoration piece.

again thanks will be given for quality advice on this subject guys:thumbsup:

T

Tenchman

Hi Joe, I've laid Geo tiles with only a stanley knife width as a grout line, the original floors were beaten into a slurry screed and that was forced between the tiles to act as a grout.

No real standards apply for originals and usually new floors are laid with about a 2mm grout joint. original floors don't come under british standards at all having been laid over a hundred years ago.

I was once asked to put movement joints into a new geo floor that was worth over £40,000 and that was by the architect, the client nearly fainted .

On originals apart from being beaten into place the tiles were also knocked into line with oak beaters so on some runs they are perfect inline on others they are a bit out.

The main effect is too have the floor look like a laid pattern but within the sections there can be big differences in grout widths and even tiles cut to shape.

Some of the floors i've restored have been a nightmare to fit back into place.
Custom cutting the tiles to fit is commonplace.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I think in most cases the individual tile or the design determines the joint width:thumbsup:

J

jwatson

thaks for the info guys.
That is shocking about the movement joint.:yikes:
i know it is regulations nowadays but surly there should be some common scence used by the authorities.
it must have been a right headache setting out for that one.

Reply to victorian geometric floors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen