Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Unsuitable walls in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Time's Ran Out

How long have the 2 walls been skimmed- need 3 weeks before tiling.
Your right to be wary of the weights and we've all been there. On a job of this size I know what I'd have done!

K

Kevbos

Omg all those skimmed walls I've tiled on for reputable tiling companies and builders over the years and now I find out its a weak substrate ?? Isn't this what we are asked to tile on .is say if worried advise them of your worries .because it won't be the adhesive that comes away from plaster .it will be plaster coming away from wall .and I have never had a problem with properly skimmed walls .that were primed and skimmed properly .it's what they are skimming over that's the problem .dusty .unprinted. wet .painted .etc etc .or weak walls

If you skim over a 3 in 1 mix sand and cement render for instance .try getting that plaster off .!

Lol sorry I just re read your post .pb meaning ply board ?? Sorry everyone was right at no instance do you tile over skimmed wood .forget weight issues .the likely hood of it ever working and holding are remote especially in new work .as soon as they turn heating on the ply shrinks plaster does nt they separate .if that was a floor .I'd be using a matting to cover ply wood to stop the expansion and contraction .noone skims floors !!

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rickm34

How long have the 2 walls been skimmed- need 3 weeks before tiling.
Your right to be wary of the weights and we've all been there. On a job of this size I know what I'd have done!
Rebiard
Lol sorry I just re read your post .pb meaning ply board ?? Sorry everyone was right at no instance do you tile over skimmed wood .forget weight issues .the likely hood of it ever working and holding are remote especially in new work .as soon as they turn heating on the ply shrinks plaster does nt they separate .if that was a floor .I'd be using a matting to cover ply wood to stop the expansion and contraction .noone skims floors !!
Its plasterboard

K

Kevbos

Sand and cement tile fixing is also best .but we don't live in world where we can do the best way of tiling anymore lol .

I don't see problem with tiling on skimmed plasterboard it depends how it is fixed and what strength it has .and how they prepping and skimming it .why not just not skim it even

Go on the tiling association website .says 20kg max skimmed plaster .36kg unskimmed. Better just let them board it and not skim .

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

Go on the tiling association website .says 20kg max skimmed plaster .36kg unskimmed. Better just let them board it and not skim .
Yes, if you look at your first reply by one of our trusted advisors, that was the first thing you were told.

K

Kevbos

Don't worry you can trust in me to also decifer what you meant and actually wrote .I had admitted my fault already also .but thanks for your extra input

O

Old Mod

No ones blaming you for anything.
Was only pointing out that u'd been given the information.
That's all.
Nothing untoward.

Reply to Unsuitable walls in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks