Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss unpaid invoice in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi Wondering if anyone can help....
I started work for a re-fit contractor on a hotel in january I was getting messed about from day one I warned them that work would be suspended unless they started paying what was owed for the work carried out they promised they would pay £11.000 by mid febuary,
they didnt so I pulled my tilers off the job and I had to p-ay them personaly which cost me thousands,
then the contractors said i'd left the job but i have evidence to say otherwise, then they said there was sub standard tiling and all the usual bunff and excuses etc etc,,,
in april I passed this to solicitors who sent them demands emails and one half hour consultation and final demand ....STILL NOTHING,,,,,,,,, then got a bill off solicitors for £784,
for absolutely no results,,,,,, NOT EVEN A COURT DATE,
now solicitors are saying what about sitting round a table with the contractors and mediation,
which will cost £££ ? then got a letter off solicitor to say the person dealing with it has gone on maternity leave and her colleague will be dealing with it. I asked them for a court date in april
Is it me or is the legal system failing contractors AGAIN...and solicitors dragging it out.wreaks of Dick Turpin,
at the end of the day they've not paid for work carried out, i have stacks of evidence and witnesses,
If I'd had work carried out by BT for instace and didnt pay I'd be in prison
I would approach the hotel owners and they'd be horified, but i've been told this might jeopardise my case,
would be gratefull for any advice cheers.
Kind Regards Ken

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I feel for you ...Imo the justice system in the country is a joke.....mate of mine did a 2 grand job in a private house the customer wouldn't pay... normal excuse of substandard work...but wouldn't even let him in to the house to look at any issue's he had....took him to court and the judge sided with the client. ..stressed my mate out so much he had a heart attack ....first bad customer he had in 20 years of trading...
I won't work for any builders I don't know ...fed up of chasing money and getting screwed..

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Split the bills into chunks large enough to take them to small claims court but not too big that it goes over the threshold. Think it's 3000 per invoice / debt is it?

Take them to small claims 3 or 4 times.

Heard somebody on here managed to do that for a large sum. If they don't turn up you automatically win.... I think.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Split the bills into chunks large enough to take them to small claims court but not too big that it goes over the threshold. Think it's 3000 per invoice / debt is it?

Take them to small claims 3 or 4 times.

Heard somebody on here managed to do that for a large sum. If they don't turn up you automatically win.... I think.
you are spot on but the amount is up to £5000 today and dont forget to pay the exstra to bring your case forward they dont turn up to defend you win they make a plea twice for reasons they cant make it the third time you win

C

Concrete guy

Firstly, sounds like the solicitors are a waste of time.

Having got this far with no obvious solution I'd be inclined to seek a winding up petition against the contractor who owes you money, they cannot ignore this, it will close their company in 7 days if it's ignored.

What it comes down to is if you wish to work for them again, if the answer is no - I'd be looking for a winding up order. Ask your solicitor about it first.

Reaction score
thanks guys
a winding up order will cost £1,930, then between £300 - £800 to issue it,
is the small claims something I can do myself or will I need a solicitor.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Problem is with some people, u issue a winding up order to ' david smith builders' , they will just wind up and set up as ' ds builders' costing you not only over 2 grand but any chance at all of getting your money :(
Some people just have no souls and don't give two monkeys asses who and howmuch they rip you off for , some folk are just complete ham shankers .

Reply to unpaid invoice in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks