Search the forum,

Discuss Uneven walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bluevin123

Hi,

Been on a job today tiling a bathroom. On one of the walls half has plasterboard,the other half is plaster.The thing is my partner took of the tiles only to leave bad wall,so the customer put a sheet of plasterboard up,which is ok,but where it meets the wall it is not level.

I tiled part of the good wall,but where its met the plasterboard it causes the tile to need a hell of a lot more adhesive just to keep it level. As I come across the wall, I will try to reduce the curve if possible without looking to noticeable,but am worried about packing so much addy underneath the tile. What is the maximum thickness I could go to? the tile is 25cm x 33cm. I am also thinking about the weight ratios etc.
Any help would be great.
Cheers.
Vinnie.
(colvin tilers)

L

Leatherface

Sounds like for future reference you ought to get the tiles ripped off sharpish prior to starting job and do the prep work ( over-boarding) yourself or get a plasterer in. Leaving it to the customer to stick bits of plasterboard on sounds like you are asking for problems.
What adhesive are you using ? If tub adhesive you should only really be having around a 6mm bed. Anything more and the adhesive will never dry. Otherwise you could get away with a thicker bed using cement based - 12 to 20 mm dependant upon which manufacturer. Perhaps trowel the wall and also back butter the tiles - make sure that you use an appropriate acrylic primer onto gypsum substrates

P

Perry

another point is you can get cracking between the Different substrates i would use a separation membrane 4mm thick for bucket up 25mm fo some cement based as Leatherface has noted

F

Fekin

If all else fails, and the backing will take the weight, you could always pack out the wall by tiling it with thin cheap ceramic tiles, then tile on top of that, all depends on the thickness difference.

B

bluevin123

ok, thanks lads.I took them off today and managed to avoid packing it out, by turning the tile ever so slightly.But ill definitley bear that in mind for future ref.
Cheers.
Vinnie.

Reply to Uneven walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen