Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor Running Costs in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help everyone, I will look into the wet system now as it seems much more economical and easier to install than I thought.

T

Time's Ran Out

These new 'smart meters' show how much the electric UFH costs to run. We did a small kitchen end of last year with 3sq mts of Ufh and when I put it on to test it cost almost 10p an hour!
I was always under the impression it was 1/2p per metre per hour i.e. 3sq mts = 1 & 1/2 p per hour . Doesn't seem much 10sq mts = 5p for 6 hours = 30p x 30 days = £9.00 a month = £108 a year for 1 floor !!
Do careful use is needed.

J

J Sid

yes John, but it's not on the 24 hours a day. Correctly set up it kicks in and out to maintain the required temp. Higher morning and evening when at home and lower at night when not needed, as you well know ;)

Reaction score
20m2 can easily be done on a single circuit pump (if it's in the same room) you probably wouldn't even need a manifold. If you have a drawing of your extension I would be happy to do a pipe layout and a quote for you.

Hi David. I have some drawings of existing heating layout and proposed extension that I can email you over for a quote if thats ok. What is your email address?

M

Myatix

Hi Chris, We thought about having electrical underfloor heating mats put in our extension but after we spoke to a consultant it made a lot of sense to use wet underfloor heating. There is a lot more to it than just how many watts the mat draws. You also need to take into consideration insulation and heat loss calculations. IE: The type and number of windows you have in the house the thickness of the walls etc etc... All of this will have a huge impact on your electricity bill.
Also the chances of an electrical heat mat going wrong over a 10 year period is alot greater than a wet underfloor heating system having issues and wet underfloor heating systems tend to be a lot easier to fix. (Not very easy to pull up an electrical mat and change it if it short circuits or malfunctions.)
Most water based underfloor heating systems have a 25 to 50 year guarantee on pipe so definitely something to consider.

Good luck with the project! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Chris, We thought about having electrical underfloor heating mats put in our extension but after we spoke to a consultant it made a lot of sense to use wet underfloor heating. There is a lot more to it than just how many watts the mat draws. You also need to take into consideration insulation and heat loss calculations. IE: The type and number of windows you have in the house the thickness of the walls etc etc... All of this will have a huge impact on your electricity bill.
Also the chances of an electrical heat mat going wrong over a 10 year period is alot greater than a wet underfloor heating system having issues and wet underfloor heating systems tend to be a lot easier to fix. (Not very easy to pull up an electrical mat and change it if it short circuits or malfunctions.)
Most water based underfloor heating systems have a 25 to 50 year guarantee on pipe so definitely something to consider.
Good luck with the project! :)
And your connection with them is?

Last edited:
M

Myatix

Hi Dan,

Sorry I don't know what you mean? We had our underfloor heating installed in 2016. I was just trying to point Chris to someone we found to be very helpful in advising us when we installed our underfloor heating. No one here seems to have mentioned that "heat loss calculations" are the key to calculating and installing an effective underfloor heating system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Underfloor Running Costs in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen