Search the forum,

Discuss Trusted Members in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

Right before you read on its important for you to understand that this has been written because I care about this forum and I want it to remain the best for years to come...

I have been off the forums for the most part of the year and I have had a chance to see things from a distance regarding both forums. I have been able to look at what both are doing without being especially involved and there is no doubt in my mind that this forum will always be the no 1 because...

1. it has the most history
2. it has more top trades people
3. it is wayyyy more beneficial for newbies & diyers due to the sheer amount of advice, pics, vids etc
4. it has a bigger presence
5. it is much more well know and established

BUT the only one plus I think the other forum has is, it doesn’t have the Trusted members tag/area.

I personally think, in fact I know this is the one thing that creates a ‘them & us’ scenario which alienates people and makes them not feel as valued and that the key word, ‘valued’. I often think how tommyzoom, Spanish tiler, miss tiler and many many more who have been overlooked feel when they have been posting for years and won job of the month but are not classed as trusted advisors. Is it any wonder that they eventually drift off to a place where everybody is on the same level.

As for all the trusted members, don’t hate me for this, I am thinking of the bigger long term picture rather than my own personal status.

If we are all on the same level (with the exception of moderators) then I really feel we would create a newer fresher feel to the place and more people would feel part and therefore post more openly and more often! And also, people would eventually come back home.

keep the current format ie tilersforums arms etc but ditching the trusted members tag would create a better & equal harmony.

People will decide for themselves or they trust and rate. After all, a job of the month winner or an old school tiler who only posts a gem once a week will probably get more respect than a trusted member who been voted in by the establishment rather than the people...you see it’s the people that make this forum. You can build a forum but it’s the members who decide whether it rises of falls and I honestly believe that now is the best time to make some changes in order to push even further ahead rather than run the risk of falling behind.
You’ve only got to look at my beloved football club LFC to see what can happen!

Anyway, this could very well be my last post (my choice btw :0) so I wanted it to be a post that benefited the forum because I owe this place a lot!! If Dan and Neale know me by now they will realise that if I have taken the time to write this, then this is because I genuinely care!!

regards
TF ED

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
i know were your coming from ,ed before i was a trusted advisor i did feel sometimes a bit left out , but i stuck in there and suppose i was rewarded for my efforts , and that is what it is a reward for many years of input

i for one would not be bothered if the advisor tag was removed , but it works and the forum still pulls in new mwmbers.
so really its upto the powers that be

i have worked for rob spanish tiler , and im quite amazed he,s not a trusted advisor, along with a few others
so what is the way forward i dont know im sure dan will give it plenty of thought though

G

Gazzer

My own thoughts is that it wouldnt make much difference. If you get rid of the TA tag then what next .?? The Arms ?
Whether you are in or out of TA it makes no difference as long as you can talk the talk and walk the walk etc etc

But I have always maintained that its the members (all of the genuine ones) that make the forums. So i would say if after a period of this thread being read and commented on. I suggest a poll, let the members decide.

Personally I dont mind either way, for me when I read info given I can make my own mind up whether its good or not.

D

DHTiling

Well said that man. It has been mentioned before but TF didn't want to remove the trusted tag and upset those members. I'm sure if a vote was unanimous , then admin would listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

Gazzer

With regards Spanishtiler, yes you cant fault workmanship but the title is Trusted Advisor !! where is the advice ?
As much as I love seeing his work , its more about self promotion. on top of that he does have a low post count, something which has always gone into consideration when giving TA status and something that was set even before I found the forums myself.

Another name springs to mind...Protilers... again workmanship fantastic but does he contribute anyway other than his own threads ?? plus most of his words are just duplicates from elsewhere.

Anyway back to hear more comments.

A

Aston

thanks boys, glad you both took this thread in the way i wanted it to come across ;0)

neale, a poll sounds really fair mate. (after a period of reflection)
i wrote this with a good honest intention so if a poll revealed that the forum were happy with the current situation, then that would be a great outcome, alternatively if the majority don't like the current format then maybe I was right to do this thread.

who knows, as long as the forum benefits then that's all that matters.

A

Aston

sorry neale
when you say have a vote, do you mean a whole forum vote or a trusted advisors vote?

G

Gazzer

Poor old Doug, just given the green tag and you want it taken away from him already....lol

G

Gazzer

sorry neale
when you say have a vote, do you mean a whole forum vote or a trusted advisors vote?

Hmmm I guess really it should be a forum vote for bonafide tilers....so all those with Arms access really ???

G

Gazzer

sorry neale

Cant really restrict it to a vote in TA as that would be like asking members of house of commons if they get paid too much ! :smilewinkgrin:

A

Aston

Hmmm I guess really it should be a forum vote for bonafide tilers....so all those with Arms access really ???

sounds the fairest and the best way to me neale.
i personally would'nt change any other area of the forum, it all works well. dan, neale and the mods do a great job, could'nt fault any thing about the place, its just this one thing that sticks in my mind and i am sure if there was a vote, admin could then decide what to do in order to benefit the whole forum..

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As a relatively new contributor to the forum I never saw the green room as anything other than an area when the regular contributors can chat in private, I was certainly never offended that I couldn't get access just because I'm an experienced tiler. I'm quite proud that my regular contributions have been recognised because as you are all aware it takes a serious time commitment to regularly contribute on here. It's not a badge recognising your tiling skills, to me it says you are serious about spending time on here helping others. Whether that status is displayed or not wouldn't bother me but as a very recent member to this area and having read through a lot of the old posts in here I do see it as an important area to discuss things that really don't concern people who are on here for DIY advice or who only post every few weeks. Personally I don't think anyone would post any less or more if the area was removed.
Anyway that's just my opinion for what it's worth, whatever is decided for as long as I'm welcome here I'll continue to commit as much time as I can to helping others, cheers!

D

Dougs Third Go

I'd try and look at another view Ed, a newbie comes onto forum to ask a question, if everybody is the same colour tag but with lots of different replies whose advice would the newbie take? Green tag isn't given out lightly and it takes ages of consistently good advice to be considered for it. By and large green tag members will offer the same advice for a given situation, not always granted but most times, and if Joe Public can see that the advice from "trusted advisors" is for the most part consistent then I think he'll be more satisfied with the results he got. just my tuppence worth.

S

Spud

you could keep the trusted advisor status but do away with this closed forum as then you still have the value of a trusted advisors advice and the reward of trusted status with out seperating yourself from the rest of the forum,on issues where admin would like advice or imput away from the forum this could be done by pm or a group conversation rather than having a restricted access forum which could be classed as clicky if you know what I mean

A

Aston

I'd try and look at another view Ed, a newbie comes onto forum to ask a question, if everybody is the same colour tag but with lots of different replies whose advice would the newbie take? Green tag isn't given out lightly and it takes ages of consistently good advice to be considered for it. By and large green tag members will offer the same advice for a given situation, not always granted but most times, and if Joe Public can see that the advice from "trusted advisors" is for the most part consistent then I think he'll be more satisfied with the results he got. just my tuppence worth.

doug and everybody in here
you don't have to convince me...this thread isn't about me or what I want, its about the forum members in general and their perception.

i was only on the other forum for a very short while before asking for my account to be closed but what i did pick up on ,were the amount of comments made about clicks on here etc, and ego's. So, I am a big believer in evolving hence this thread.

if a vote happens and the forum says they like the trusted advisor tag, great!!
if they say they dont like it, then once again, great....the masses matter more than a dozens green tags

either way, we will learn something and that can only be a good thing can't it...

Reply to Trusted Members in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen