Search the forum,

Discuss Travertine mosaic on wooden floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

Anna Rack

Hi, first post so please go easy on me!
I'd consider myself a competent diy-er and in the past have succesfully laid ceramic tiles on a solid floor.

I've now got an en-suite shower room in which I want to lay travertine mosaic tiles. The flooring is green moisture proof chipboard, and it's a very small area, probably less than 3m square and very little movement.

There is another en-suite in the house which has already been tiled in the same way several years ago before I moved in. They have been stuck directly to the chipboard and they look great with no loose tiles.

I was hoping to use something like Unibond 'tile on wooden floors' which it says can be used directly onto chipboard - what preparation would you advise with the green top layer of the board, as it feels quite waxy. I was thinking of scoring and sanding it?

I am guessing mosaic tiles would be a lot more tolerant on a wooden floor than say, 30cm ceramic tiles?

Any comments appreciated.

T

Time's Ran Out

We were in a restaurant in Scotland many years ago and one of our team was 'chatting' to the waitress - 'What's yer name pet? he asked
'Anna' she answered.
A nah ye nah but I divvint na! he fired back.

We thought it was good.

Anyway Anna - don't tile directly onto green chipboard, fix a tile backer board or if the floor is sound (althouth you say there is little movement) you may find a decoupling membrane adequate.
The other floor may just be good fortune.

Have a Merry Xmas and enjoy the tilers forum.

A

Anna Rack

Thanks.

I guess a 6mm cement backing board would also do the job - I can afford to raise the level slightly. what would be cheapest?

If using the mebrane, would it adhere sufficently to the chipboard? I assume with the board you could use plenty of screws.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
The de-coupler would be fine stuck down with rapid set addy or glue designed for the job, the boards could be stuck down in the same manner, addy of course and not glue, if height is a problem then addy is the way with a de-coupler.

A

Anna Rack

Right, I've got some 6mm ProWarm backer boards on order.

A couple of questions about installation - Does the board or floor need priming before installation and if so what type? Also do the joints need taping?

Regarding adhesive, although going over Chipboard which feels solid, would it be best to go for a more flexible S1 to play safe?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to Travertine mosaic on wooden floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen