Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Transition Question in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

dantheram

I have decided the best layout for my floor is to realign my pattern to give a whole tile at the 2 french doors i have. this leads me to the question of how much of a gap do i need to leave in order to fit a transition strip here -

the current gap here is 4mm on the bottom left tile (same as grout lines)

Thanks,

Dan

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
Up to you really as long as the transition strip fits in and covers the gap.

Can't say I'm a fan of your layout!

D

dantheram

Up to you really as long as the transition strip fits in and covers the gap.
Can't say I'm a fan of your layout!

ignore that top row, that's where the tile ends up if I run straight off the centred lines. I'm not having a crazy staggered joint setup like that.

Im in just having straight course.

See the problem is I know nothing about the strips! How much of a gap do they need to fit between the door edge and tile?

I

Ian

There are so many strips to choose from, it's quite difficult to answer your question. Have you seen one that you might use?

D

dantheram

There are so many strips to choose from, it's quite difficult to answer your question. Have you seen one that you might use?

Probably best if I use a hardwood one to match the door. I'm asking because I've seen some that drill into the floor and others that have to be inserted under the tile. I don't want something silly like this to bugger my whole floor up.

I

Ian

Probably best if I use a hardwood one to match the door. I'm asking because I've seen some that drill into the floor and others that have to be inserted under the tile. I don't want something silly like this to bugger my whole floor up.

Get your strip before you start tiling, I think that's the only way to know for sure.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
Like you say... Some have different systems. I like the ones that have ridges and push to height of floor.

Buy the one you like before fixing your tiles.

Reply to Transition Question in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks