Search the forum,

Discuss To prime when using Ultraplan renovation screed on tilemate boards. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

V

vrytir

Hi can you tell me if I have to prime tilemate boards (similar to marmox board) when using Mapei Ultraplan renovation screed. Instruction says
The substrate should be primed with Mapeprim SP or Eco Prim T prior to the application of Ultraplan Renovation Screed, but I read here that I do not have to prime tile mate boards.
If I have to prime boards could I use Cementone PVA as I have some left.
Please help me.

V

vrytir

Re: To prime when using Ultraplan renovation screed on tilemate boards

I also have Mapei Primer G left as well.:lol: Would this be better?

W

White Room

If there similar to Marmox, then no need to prime just wipe over with a damp sponge to remove any dust that maybe there.

M

Mark S

Primer G and Ecoprim T are the same thing different label,(more or less) Mapeprim SP is a 2 component primer designed for smooth compact substrates, including ceramics
To be on safe side use the SP, wait till it becomes transparent before applying the Ultraplan Renovation screed.
hope this helps

Q

Qwerty

No primer required, save your money!!!!! Sweep, clean floor as already stated, then pour!

M

Mark S

You pays your money, you take your chance, but any issues and Mapei will walk away

B

bugs183

Hiya V.
I'm with Mark on this one, i'd be tempted to prime onto Marmox.
Marmox is a great product as is Ren Screed,but any adhesives etc tend to dry quicker than average on to these types of board, levelling compound needs to be able to move around, the Marmox would suck the moisture out too quickly and not let the leveller do its job.
Priming would slow down this drying effect and give you a far better bond between the board and the Reno screed imo.

Q

Qwerty

I have never ever had to prime marmox prior to SLC and have never ever had it drying too quickly or difficult to spread. Each to their own I suppose, but ultimately it would cost more time & money for something that is not required.

Do those of you who say you would prime the marmox also prime tile backer boards and plasterboard? If the answer is yes, then I know why you say you would prime the marmox board as it is what you do all the time.

I only prime boards for dust consolidation purposes. Mapei do say to prime prior to Ren screed, so if this is new to you or you are not confident with your working practices or worried about it failing then prime away!

You mention PVA, so for your personal situation I recommend you prime

V

vrytir

As I can see there is not one and only answer and I have some primer g left I have decided to prime it. Lets Be It and then you can quest .... :8:

D

DHTiling

No primer is required... trust me.. sponge wipe dust off and then SLC..

Reply to To prime when using Ultraplan renovation screed on tilemate boards. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen