Search the forum,

Discuss to prime or not to prime in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

grayd6

hello to all, just priced first job this morning (15 mtr2)bathroom after doing 4 day course at nett .need a bit of advice .all the old tiles have been removed and the walls are not to bad there is just some of the old adhesive on the walls. although it looks ok to tile on to do i need to prime the surface first.i think i do .
also got floor to do less than 3mtr2.there is vinyl tiles down and they are solid on to a concrete floor . am i right in saying i can tile over them .and i can use rapid set and also that i should prime as well...

any advice greatfully recieved..
cheers, davey gray........:thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

Priming won't hurt though it is not always necessary. DH primes everything!!

I think for the floor you must ensure the current tiles are SOLID and rough them up and again prime. I think the common substance to use is BAL Bond though I have not had to tile a floor with vinyl tiles already down, so I am stabbing a guess here.

If there is any suspicion the the vinyl tiles may be insecure, you would be wise to remove them.

Grumpy

D

DHTiling

grumpy is right..prime those vinyl tiles with bal bond sbr and tile within 24 hrs of priming them....no need to rough them up..you can prime the walls to dust proof them as wel....good luck....

R

rossy

i prime every time and had no come back yet and it makes you look more profesional to the customers..

B

billy123

i prime every time and had no come back yet and it makes you look more profesional to the customers..
try and prime every time it saves headaches later on and try and keep spare tub with you at all times

G

grayd6

thanks for advice guys. it just gives me that extra bit of confidence going in to my first job.:grin:

STEVO

TF
Reaction score
Hi lads, not logged in for while, but just seen this question and got me thinking what do other tilers prime with?
I use to use PVA but then decided i didnt like it as thought it didnt give onough strength to the glue. Now use the acrylic primer from granfix and feels much better. Tiles seem to stick much better with it. And it smells like sweet chewing gum!
just wondered what you guys thought about PVA or other primers, and what not to use etc?
cheers
stevo.

D

DHTiling

Hi lads, not logged in for while, but just seen this question and got me thinking what do other tilers prime with?
I use to use PVA but then decided i didnt like it as thought it didnt give onough strength to the glue. Now use the acrylic primer from granfix and feels much better. Tiles seem to stick much better with it. And it smells like sweet chewing gum!
just wondered what you guys thought about PVA or other primers, and what not to use etc?
cheers
stevo.

Hi stevo....

Read this.... http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/2511-p-v-versus-primers.html

F

faithhealer

I now prime every thing in sight, after reading the forum for a while now. Always put on my quotes prime walls Foc, Only takes minutes and customer likes to think they are getting something for nothing!

Reply to to prime or not to prime in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen