Search the forum,

Discuss To prime or not to prime in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kaharrison9

Hi all
Hoping for some advice.
Pricing up for a bathroom and will be taking off the tiles.The surface is plasterboard and plaster.The customer has decided he doesn't want tanking and the tiles are 250mmx330mm.I was planning to use Bal spf but have to prime the walls with Bal apd twice and neat which i've worked out as needing 4 tins and paying around £13.50 per tin proves expensive.
If i use the Bal white star tubbed adhesive will i still need to prime the surface before?also will a 5-6mm thin bed solid bed trowel be fine for this size tile?
Thanks for any help
Kev

G

grumpygrouter

Hi all
Hoping for some advice.
Pricing up for a bathroom and will be taking off the tiles.The surface is plasterboard and plaster.The customer has decided he doesn't want tanking and the tiles are 250mmx330mm.I was planning to use Bal spf but have to prime the walls with Bal apd twice and neat which i've worked out as needing 4 tins and paying around £13.50 per tin proves expensive.
If i use the Bal white star tubbed adhesive will i still need to prime the surface before?also will a 5-6mm thin bed solid bed trowel be fine for this size tile?
Thanks for any help
Kev
Four "tins" of APD to prime... how big is the area?

K

kaharrison9

Hi Grumpy
I looked at the Bal production selection book and it says 2.5L undiluted does 12.5L-25L.With there been a large varience in coverage i'm working out an average of 18-19L per 2.5L.
I early spoke to the Bal technician and he said it would need priming undiluted twice if this been the case and the bathroom been 23m2 does it mean i have to work out the amount needed is for 46m2?
I cannot work on experience but does a second prime not use as much as the first or do i need to prime where there has been previous tiles?
Hope i'm making some sense.
Cheers
Kev.

G

grumpygrouter

Hi Grumpy
I looked at the Bal production selection book and it says 2.5L undiluted does 12.5L-25L.With there been a large varience in coverage i'm working out an average of 18-19L per 2.5L.
I early spoke to the Bal technician and he said it would need priming undiluted twice if this been the case and the bathroom been 23m2 does it mean i have to work out the amount needed is for 46m2?
I cannot work on experience but does a second prime not use as much as the first or do i need to prime where there has been previous tiles?
Hope i'm making some sense.
Cheers
Kev.
The second coat uses much much less than the first coat. The first coat pretty much seals most of the substrate, you apply the second, in a perpendicular direction to make sure you have not missed anywhere. A lambswool painting roller is very economical. You will waste much more with a paint brush.

K

kaharrison9

Cheers for that advice Grumpy
Could i also ask if i do use Bal white star do i need to prime and do you think a 5-6mm thin bed solid bed trowel would be fine with 330mmx250mm trowel?
Thanks very much
Kev

G

grumpygrouter

You do not need to prime with BAL White Star and try using a 6mm trowel first and check coverage. if it isn't sufficient, go up to an 8mm and see how that is. Any bigger and you are in danger of having too thick a bed for dispersion adhesive.

Reply to To prime or not to prime in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen