Search the forum,

Discuss To Prime or not to Prime, that is my question...? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mmmadman

Hi All

I have a question about priming, I have bought the Ardex Waterproof Protection System to tank around where my shower is going and the other walls if there is any left.

The shop said to prime the wall first with an SBR primer before using the Ardex kit.

On the Ardex box it says no primer required.

My substrate is, plasterboard that was tiled, I removed the tiles and old addy and the old plaster skim, off with this came a layer of the plasterboard cardboard.

I then coated the walls with the Granfix wetroom system and tiled using Granfix tubbed addy.
This is where it all went down hill, pear shaped and T*ts up, see my thread titled, "How to tackle shop miss sold adhesive"

Here:
http://www.tilersforums.com/43-tiling-forum/73425-advice-how-tackle-shop-miss-sold.html

I had to remove all the tiles and most of the addy just scraped off as it was still soft, even after a week. To remove the remaining addy I used a wallpaper stripper but this took the Granfix latex type membrane with it. I am now back down to a layer of cardboard on the face of the plasterboard with the odd nick in it which has revealed the plaster in the board.

Back to my question, do I prime this surface with SBR first?

Do I tank the whole room if I have any of the Ardex left over from the bath/shower area?

My tiles are 200mm x 500mm ceramic and I am now going to use Weber flexible powdered adhesive, as I should of done in the first place, :mad2::mad2::mad2: lol...!!!

Many thanks all, cheers...

J

J Sid

I would remove the old plaster board and replace with a water proof/resistance board such as hardie or wedi type board. Take the paint on stuff back for a refund.

M

mmmadman

Hi JulianSidney

I did think of that but its a 70's house and two of the bathroom walls are partioned plasterboard, premade panel (not sure what you call them) two boards with a honeycomb type sandwich. I could overboard I guess but its adding weight and maiking the room slightly smaller.

Cheers...

J

J Sid

I would be concerned with how much damage has been done to your plaster board, so over board with 6 mm an opinion

Reply to To Prime or not to Prime, that is my question...? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen