Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss Tips on using an angle grinder in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. dg-1984

dg-1984 Active Member

Can anyone give any hints or tips on using an angle grinder for cutting tiles, bought a variable Bosch and premtool blade.
    Have read about rotating the grinder and having the blade on the right as pull cutting can be more accurate on longer cuts. Also the dust etc is thrown away from you instead of towards.
    Any hints or tips you have would be great.

2. JulianSidney

JulianSidney Billy no mates. Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

as I do it and find it so much easier. Just let the blade do the work with little force from you pulling

• Like Like x 1
  3. dg-1984

dg-1984 Active Member

Can I ask what angle do you have the guard? Do you look at the cutting line from behind the blade or Infront?
    Reason I ask was I found I was leaning over to try see the line from above and front but thought must be an easier way to see it.

4. JulianSidney

don't tell anyone but no guard
    pull towards you looking at the line you are going to cut with eye in line with pull.

put safety glasses on

5. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

No guard is utter madness! Why risk it? Proper impact rated safety glasses might save your eyes, but what about the rest of you? How about your neck? Arteries?
    The guard is needed to stop broken disc fragments aiming for you!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JulianSidney

I know, but that's how I've always do it.

7. impish

I have my blade on the left and pull cut gently.
    I can see the line and cuts are fine. I wouldn't lean over an unguarded blade, exposing my neck.

8. impish

9. dg-1984

dg-1984 Active Member

Thanks for the replys, I would keep the guard on for safety.
    If the disc is on the left and you are slowly pulling is the blade not cutting upwards and causes porential chips?

10. Andyman

Andyman Active Member

I had a 225mm 9 inch metal cutting disc shatter in front of my face last year. I had safety glasses and helmet on, first time all day I forgot to put dust mask on and ended up with nose and lip cut to crap.
    Glasses saved my eyes that day.
    Leave the guard off and soory to say your a cock

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. impish

I never cut in one pass. Usually back and forth a couple of times just shy of the final cut line, but last cut is pulled towards me.
    I use a makita variable and CK850 akkumax usually.
    No chips.

12. dg-1984

dg-1984 Active Member

Ok thanks I have a few tiles to practice on so will try both cutting blade on left and right. Like the idea of dust etc flying away from me rather than at me to be honest.
    Just found it a little awkward to see the cut line with the guard on, may need to try adjust it a few different ways.

13. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

If you have blade on right as Julian does, guard parallel to tile watch cut line from behind blade, its easy to see @JulianSidney@JulianSidney
    Just compensate with measurements to cut on right side of line.

14. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

83983597-8E09-4FF7-AFB3-4643EEBFFE6A.jpeg

15. impish

I just can't do it! Feels too cack-handed to me ...