Discuss Tips on using an angle grinder in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

LM

I generally do a light pass just to the side of a pre scored line first then I move the grinder forwards and backwards the length of the cut until I’m through. The amount of passes varies with material and blade. I also think it stops the material over heating too much as your moving the contact with the blade and preventing constant heat build up.
For me I’m too conscious of blade burst so I always have a guard on and keep my head to the side of the cut never above it.
An abrasive wheel course is mandatory with me and is an hour of your life worth spending, after it I doubt you’d risk working with a gaurdless grinder.
I like the logic of the grinder throwing the dust away I just as of yet haven’t been able to get comfortable with it so if conditions need it I’ll use a wet sponge to the back of the wheel with a bag of something holding the piece in place.

O

Old Mod

I like the logic of the grinder throwing the dust away I just as of yet haven’t been able to get comfortable with it so if conditions need it I’ll use a wet sponge to the back of the wheel with a bag of something holding the piece in place.

I actually find it far easier to control.
If you’re pushing, being even slightly too heavy handed causes the cutting head to waiver.
Whereas ‘dragging’ the cutting head, it stays true.
It’s also safer in the event of a ‘snag’
If it snags while pulling, it actually comes toward you and you automatically grip it tighter bringing it under control.
With the blade on the left and pushing forward, the tail of the grinder tends to waiver as you push.
If it snags it’s pulled away from you and is easily pulled from your grasp, loosing control.
Only trouble is, I haven’t been able to find that 3rd hand to hold a sponge whilst pulling toward me, so I’ve had to go back to using a grinder in the more conventionally accepted way, pushing with blade on the left. Thats the only way I can cool the blade whilst cutting.

D

Dumbo

I must admit, it’s an option I’ve considered. :D
Cos I can’t find one that does. :p
I used to know a guy that could get contra rotating9 inch ones . They were used by the fire brigade to make sparks go in the opposite direction because people who were already having a bad day and having to get cut out of their car apparently don't like getting showered in hot sparks as well .
Disclaimer
This may or may not be true .

W

WetSaw

77203-a5fe1117358c10876953c166d2d75d57.jpg

Bloody Emigres, coming over here...
Just wire it up backwards :)

Might be an option with a DC motor..

Reply to Tips on using an angle grinder in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks