Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling the last tiles to the ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JimmyShoes

Hi all,
just a question I've been thinking about. Being newish to the game, I've usually tiled up to the last cut on a wall , turned the last tile upside down , marked where it needed to be cut and followed the ceiling. But I'm wondering, what is your opinion? Do you think that this is the best way to do the last tile or do you think it would be best to work out where the lowest point of the ceiling was , leave an appropriate grout space, then cut all the other tiles the same height? Obviously this can leave bigger spaces where the ceiling is uneven, but the tiles I'm thinking, look straighter to the eye. What is the best way? and If it is the latter, what amount of space would be acceptable in an uneven ceiling?

Thanks in advance, I'd appreciate your comments on what you'd do in such a situation.

Jimmy:thumbsup:

B

brian c

depends how far off the ceiling is?i normally turn tile upside down and mark or use a rule and take the thickness of spacer off each side.

W

White Room

If you cut from the lowest point of the ceiling and cut the tiles the same it could look awful if the ceiling is all over the place

D

davy_G

I do exactly as you do. Turn it and mark eash one individually. Leaves the best finish.
The best option would be to have plasterers level everything but we dont live in a perfect world!

J

JimmyShoes

Cheers Davy, at least I know I'm doing it as it should be done. I hear ya there, that perfect world certainly ain't in my neck of the woods!:lol:

C

Colour Republic

depends how far off the ceiling is?i normally turn tile upside down and mark or use a rule and take the thickness of spacer off each side.

Do you ever take off more than the spacer width Bri?

I tend to measure the gap then take off 5mm (if using 2mm spacers) this leaves me with a 3mm gap to the ceiling. I do this because once grounted the grout is nearer 3-4mm wide after it has come over the shoulder of the tile a bit. Where as the cut has no shoulder so it stays at what ever space you leave. Just my way of doing it but is slower for sure.

P

Peter

Best bet is 'point to point'ing the whole way round the ceiling to keep it neat. Even 5-6mm away from a ceiling looks very untidy so I'd dread to think what it would look like if you hit 14mm of a difference. Personally I'm a fan of 1-2mm to the ceiling wherever possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JimmyShoes

That's interesting Colour Republic, hadn't thought of the shoulder of the tiles. Food for thought, I can see how that would look.

Reply to Tiling the last tiles to the ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen