Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling the ceiling in a shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

crippo2

I want to fully tile my new shower, including the ceiling. I have Marble tiles, 406mm square and 15mm thick. The shower structure is timber frame, covered with Aquapanel, screwed at recommended distances. the roof to the shower is similarly covered and is fully capable of supporting the weight of all the 12 tiles I would need to install.

I have spoken to both the BAL technical help line and to the tile supplier. For obvious reasons (legal) neither is willing to recommend tiling a shower ceiling, unless the tiles are mechanically locked (presumably by screwing?) to the structure above them.

However I have seen tiled shower ceilings as well as large slabs of ornamental Marble apparantly suspended from structure without mechanical support.

any thoughts/hints/tips? on methods and materials - presumably an industrial strength adhesive is a good starting point?

thanks in advance

T

The D

If you do what you are thinking of doing you are taking you life and the lives of your family in your own hands. There is a good reason why the people you have spoken to will not recommend tiling a shower ceiling and that is because it is unsafe.

W

White Room

Got agree with deanotile, Would not take the chance, I have seen heavy finishes on ceilings and all have heavy duty metal framework and are well fixed

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

I want to fully tile my new shower, including the ceiling. I have Marble tiles, 406mm square and 15mm thick. The shower structure is timber frame, covered with Aquapanel, screwed at recommended distances. the roof to the shower is similarly covered and is fully capable of supporting the weight of all the 12 tiles I would need to install.

I have spoken to both the BAL technical help line and to the tile supplier. For obvious reasons (legal) neither is willing to recommend tiling a shower ceiling, unless the tiles are mechanically locked (presumably by screwing?) to the structure above them.

However I have seen tiled shower ceilings as well as large slabs of ornamental Marble apparantly suspended from structure without mechanical support.

any thoughts/hints/tips? on methods and materials - presumably an industrial strength adhesive is a good starting point?

thanks in advance
APPARANTLY may well be the operative word. You may well find they were mechanically fixed but you couldn't see the fixing.

D

Deleted member 1779

Whats wrong with a bit of plaster-board and white paint?

I stuck an extract fan in mine.

F

faithhealer

Sorry Crippo but even my wife laughed a that one. Not a laughing matter though!
If you don't want a plasterdoard ceiling there are hundreds of marble effect PVC cladding out there. Don't put your family at risk mate.

V

Varley

Sorry Crippo but even my wife laughed a that one. Not a laughing matter though!
If you don't want a plasterdoard ceiling there are hundreds of marble effect PVC cladding out there. Don't put your family at risk mate.

That would be my best solution to the problem.

D

Deleted member 1779

This is my ceiling.... With a spotlight and extract fan. I believe the ceiling should not be the focus of any attention.

plasterboard.jpg

Also plasterboard is a doddle to fit and skim, plus its easy to cut holes in for putting in the lighting and fans.

If I were ever to do anything fancy with the ceiling it would be to have them strobe lights that make it look like stars at night.

But not tiles on a celing... Mind you if you fancy a chuckle there is a post about putting a mirror on a ceiling after someone saw it on film Basic Instinct. Thread has a lot of the same fixing advice as for tiles but with some obvious inuendo.

F

Fekin

If I had fitted the 15mm Marble tiles to my bathroom ceiling just by adhesive, I would be wondering wether this was going to be my final visit everytime because if one of those fell away and hit you on the head, odds on I'd be dead, or in a very serious way :lol:

W

wetdec

No amount of adhesive is going to hold that weight 100% the down force is too great. If you have seen marble etc then it will be a cladding and mechanicaly fixed from behind.

How big is the ceiling area in this shower ??

tiler

Reply to Tiling the ceiling in a shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen